Saturday, March 24, 2012

Repost: Over The Hedge



Last night's video was Over The Hedge. What a cute movie! I have not laughed like that for a while. I had no idea that it was based on a comic strip. I think I'll have to add it to my list of funnies to read regularly.

By now, you have probably figured out that I love animation. I would never have the patience to do animation work but I love to watch the results. OTH took 3 years to complete. There’s a little bit of trivia on the IMDb listing that says that some of the animators got kicked out of Safeway because they’d spent too much time there sketching chip bags. You mean to tell me that a warehouse full of animation geeks did not have enough personal experience with junk food to render it properly?

If you rent the DVD, be sure to watch all the extras that take you though the animation process. During the demonstration of how to draw Hammy, I was very tempted to get out my sketchpad a draw along. Even if animation is not your thing there other interesting things to watch in the extras. At the very least, you should watch “Hammy’s Boomerang Adventure.”

With some animated films, the animations might be fine but the voices are wrong. OTH does not have that problem. The voice casting was inspired. William Shatner as a melodramatic, Shakespeare loving possum who likes to die? Brilliant! Even casting Avril Lavigne as his mortified teenaged daughter worked well. Steve Carrell’s voice was unrecognizable as my favourite character Hammy (above).

What does it say about me that my favourite characters are always the wackadoodles?

Anyway.

I even liked the music in this movie. The lyrics are funny and the music is bouncy. So bouncy that I found myself doing the “Neutron Dance” during one song. For those of you who were not around when Beverly Hills Cop came out I give to you the video:









Reposts are posts written for previous journals or other places online that no longer exist.

No comments:

Post a Comment