Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Getting Creative - Week 40

Photo of a lagoon at Stanley Park.
Image via Wikipedia
Years ago I used to live in Vancouver's West End. A couple of times a week, first thing in the morning, I'd go to this excellent French bakery on Denman and get a croissant. Then I'd go across the street to the green grocer to pick some fruit. Once I had my food I'd stop at a local coffee shop to get a hot chocolate to go. I'd take my breakfast to a bench at Lost Lagoon and watch the birds.


After a leisurely breakfast, I'd feed peanuts to the squirrels as I walked through Stanley Park to Second Beach. From there I'd walk along the Seawall until I got home. It was a great way to start the day. I always felt totally jazzed and ready to go when I got back from my breakfast jaunt. More and more I'm beginning to wish I still lived there. 


I had a real hard time figuring out what inspires me. Some times I see an image and I think I could do that. There isn't one artist or writer who's work inspires me. The closest thing I can think of is a little weird. 


If  you've reading this blog for awhile you know that I adore Eddie Izzard. What you might not know is that every time I get near him I start to get more "girly". I've talked to him a few times and been in the same room as him a few more times. After every encounter I start looking at makeup and heels and dresses. The day after the last show I saw, I went out and bought two pairs of heels and about a hundred dollars worth of makeup. I guess you could say he inspires me to be a little more creative than my usual no makeup, jeans and t-shirts routine. Too bad it doesn't last. Being "girly" is just too much work. 


This week's card:
A Blank Wall 
Sinking into a creative trance can be challenging when we spend much of our days on sensory overload, our head full of beeping pagers and ringing cell phones. When the best stimulation is no stimulation, try staring into space. Think of a wall in your house, office, garden, or neighborhood as a blank screen and yourself as the projectionist. Let your wildest imaginings, most mundane thoughts, and out-there daydreams fly, captured for the moment on the "screen." Take a look at what you see there; retain what's worth keeping for future use and let the rest fade to black.
I do this a lot. Maybe even too much. I often do it when I'm in bed trying to fall asleep. I stare at the ceiling and let my imagination wander wherever it wants. I rarely remember any of it the next morning. I have no idea what I'm going to write about next week.




Creativity Resources:


Imagination - use this interactive mouse cursor toy and explore.


Imagination: The Power of Inner Vision - learn to use your imagination.







Getting Creative is a 52 week project where I will try to work my way through 52 Ways to Nurture Your Creativity by Lynn Gordon. You're welcome to come along as I do a card a week for a year.


Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment