Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Getting Creative - Week 37

mental health week
Image by meerar via Flickr
Last week I took a mental health week and did absolutely nothing. The saga of the Great Flood of 2012 continues. No work has been done for two weeks. Not that the landlord let us know that no work would be done. What has happened is multiple groups of strange men have demanded access to my apartment so they can look at the damage, take pictures and make notes.

Having people come into my apartment is stressful. I like to be comfortable when I'm lounging around at home. That means I wear my PJs. Having to get dressed and sit around my apartment all day so people can come and look at the damage for five minutes is a pain in the neck. Being left to wonder how long this is going to go on is also stressful.

So last week I just shut down. Needless to say I did not make it to the pool.

This week's card:
Emotional Hotspots 
Although you probably avoid emotional hotspots, recalling and experiencing them can provide fuel for creative expression. Coming face-to-face with the most real and raw issues and feelings and then channeling that energy through a creative medium may produce not only intense work but also emotional catharsis. Instead of reburying a recurring memory, put on your spelunking garb and start exploring. Hard had suggested.

I'm going to be honest. I doubt I'll do this one. I read to escape. I writer for the same reason. To say that I have issues would be an understatement. Years of therapy haven't gotten me to a point where I can even think about my "hotspots" without having a meltdown. I am currently stressed out enough. I'm not going to go poking around without a boatload of antidepressants.


Creativity Resources:

Find Your Emotional Triggers - An interesting list of potential triggers.

Therapy Worksheets - A blog with links to all kinds of worksheets for psychological issues.


Getting Creative is a 52 week project where I will try to work my way through 52 Ways to Nurture Your Creativity by Lynn Gordon. You're welcome to come along as I do a card a week for a year.


Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment