Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Getting Creative - Week 35





That old cliché about the best laid plans bit me in the ass this week. Friday morning I was woken up by a fire alarm. As I stumbled my way down the stairs and out of the building I noticed water flowing where it shouldn't be. A contractor, working on the building's heating system, broke the sprinkler system sending gallons of water through the building.

I got lucky. The damage wasn't too bad. Still, I had to have a dehumidifier and two industrial fans installed. One was placed in my tiny bathroom. For the next three days I had the unique experience of doing my business in a wind tunnel. I was tempted to hang a sign saying “Gentlemen calls must remain seated during the entire performance.” Goddess knows some of them have bad aim at the best of times. The novelty wore off on the third morning when I got toothpaste in my eye. That stuff STINGS.

I was insanely happy when they took the fans out on Monday. With the noise and the workmen coming in and out I haven't spent a lot of time writing. I'm hoping that everything in my apartment will be done by this time next week. Fingers crossed.

This week's Card:
Celebrate Small Successes 
Although you may already have picked out something to wear to the Academy Awards or decided how you will spend your MacArthur Genius Award grant money, it's well worth celebrating the little successes that happen on the way. Since Carnegie Hall is already booked for many years out, you should celebrate the smaller milestones you have earned the hard way. From mastery that really difficult sonata to completing that book proposal, there are many accomplishments to be celebrated.

The week wasn't a total loss. I did write something other than blog posts. A friend sent me a short story... really just one scene, as a Christmas present. I decided to write another scene for his birthday. That gave me only two weeks to come up with an idea and get it done. True to my usual MO, I didn't even get it started until the day before his birthday. I did get it done so Yay Me!

Creativity Resources

30 Ways to Celebrate Your Successes – Some simple ideas for any size success.

40 Everyday Successes – There are things to celebrate every day.


Getting Creative is a 52 week project where I will try to work my way through 52 Ways to Nurture Your Creativity by Lynn Gordon. You're welcome to come along as I do a card a week for a year.

No comments:

Post a Comment