Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Getting Creative -- Week 34

Indiana Jones Adventure: Temple of the Forbidd...
Image via Wikipedia

The last card was about listening to your inner voices. I often have trouble when I write fiction. In the back of my mind is the idea that you have to write what people will read. You can't write for yourself because it's just a kind of literary masturbation. On the other hand if you're not writing what you like then why are you bothering? This debate goes on every time I start a project. The most common result is that I drop whatever it is I was working on.

This week's card:
Be Open To Adventure 
What do scaling a cliff, starting a painting, parachuting out of a plane, buying a kiln, and running a marathon have in common? They all take courage as well as commitment. Summoning the courage to try something new in the physical realm – something exciting and a little scary – helps strengthen the same muscles that boosts us to new creative heights. Dreaming of rafting down a river or trekking up a mountain? Say “yes” to that fantasy. Prove to yourself you can do it. You'll have the exhilaration of that success to draw on later, when you're gathering the confidence to write a screenplay that'll knock Spielberg’s socks off.

I live mostly in my head. I'm not really a very “physical” person at all. I never have been. I don't have a lot of fantasies in the “physical realm.” I'd like to travel someday but I have a very sedate idea of that too. I've been slowly gathering materials to paint with. Maybe this week I will give some thought as to what I would like to paint.

Creative Resources

How to be Adventurous – 9 easy steps to becoming more adventurous.

The Spirit of Adventure – A look at the psychology of adventure.

Getting Creative is a 52 week project where I will try to work my way through 52 Ways to Nurture Your Creativity by Lynn Gordon. You're welcome to come along as I do a card a week for a year.


Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment