Saturday, December 3, 2011

Repost: X-Men: The Last Stand Review






Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


I finally went to see X-MEN: The Last Stand. I wanted to wait until the crowds died down. I went to a matinee. I think there were about 15 people in the theatre. Not seeing the film right away meant that I had to avoid spoilers. I'm happy to say that the only thing I knew about the movie was that the next movie was going to be a Wolverine movie. Now I know why.

I'm not going to give out any big spoilers just a small one or two...


They killed off the X-Man I disliked most in the first few minutes of the film.(YAY) Then a short while later they killed off my second favorite X-Man.(BOO)

If you haven't seen the film yet, make sure you stay through the end credits. There's a little surprise at the end.

Anyway...


While I enjoyed the film I don't think it was a good as the other two. For some strange reason it felt like a "contractual obligation" film. It's as if the cast had signed on for 3 so they had to do 3. I know that's not what happened but it sure felt like it. I know that Halle Berry has said she will not do another movie but her character is still alive at the end.

I also have a little nitpick. In the first movie, Wolverine skewers Mystique and she survives. In this movie he skewers another female mutant in the same way but she dies. What gives? Okay. It's a comic book world. Things don't have to make sense but really! LOL.

My other observation is that Patrick Stewart has now been in two films where a main character is killed but his "consciousness" is transferred into another body. Is this a trend in movie making? Are we now so afraid of death our "art" needs to find extraordinary ways to beat it? I'm just askin'.

One of the people I went to the movie with commented on how Magnito spouts a lot of pseudo-Nazi rhetoric in this film. I think that fanaticism twists itself so much that it becomes worse than whatever it started out being against (or for). Fear and hatred are two of the strongest (and most destructive) emotions humans have. I'm sure Magnito doesn't see himself as a mutant Nazi.

There are interesting questions posed by this movie. If you were a mutant and there was a "cure" would you take it? Would you force your children to take it? Should the government force everyone to take the cure? At what point does a "cure" become one more weapon for society to use against those who are different?

While watching the movie I kept thinking about homosexuality and how some people still believe it is an illness that can be cured. I know people who have been subjected to all sorts of things including, in one case, an exorcism because parents were sure that there was a cure for their child's sexual orientation. I'm sure none of those parents thought of themselves as Nazies.

Huh. This has turned into a much longer entery than I thought it would. Maybe that means the movie was better than I thought. Maybe. Maybe not. I really just went to look at Wolverine anyway. Prrrrrrr!





Reposts are posts written for previous journals or other places online that no longer exist.

No comments:

Post a Comment