Saturday, December 24, 2011

Repost: Must See Movies



A bunch of movie critics have put together a list of films to see before you die:
1 Apocalypse Now 2 The Apartment 3 City of God 4 Chinatown 5 Sexy Beast 6 2001: A Space Odyssey 7 North by Northwest 8 A Bout de Souffle 9 Donnie Darko 10 Manhattan 11 Alien 12 Lost in Translation 13 The Shawshank Redemption 14 Lagaan: Once Upon A Time in India 15 Pulp Fiction 16 Touch of Evil 17 Walkabout 18 Black Narcissus 19 Boyz n the Hood 20 The Player 21 Come and See 22 Heavenly Creatures 23 A Night at the Opera 2 4 Erin Brockovich 25 Trainspotting 26 The Breakfast Club 27 Hero 28 Fanny and Alexander 29 Pink Flamingos 30 All About Eve 31 Scarface 32 Terminator 2 33 Three Colours: Blue 34 The Royal Tenenbaums 35 The Ladykillers 36 Fight Club 37 The Searchers 38 Mulholland Drive 39 The Ipcress File 40 The King of Comedy 41 Manhunter 42 Dawn of the Dead 43 Princess Mononoke 44 Raising Arizona 45 Cabaret 46 This Sporting Life 47 Brazil 48 Aguirre: The Wrath of God 49 Secrets and Lies 50 Badlands. 

Hmmm. I'm really not sure about this list. There's no explanation as to why must we see these films. I've seen a few of them. Hated Apocalypse Now. The Apartment was okay. Chinatown was good. Hated Sexy Beast. Don't remember North By Northwest though I know I've seen it. Loved Shawshank Redemption. The Player was boring. Loved Heavenly Creatures. The Breakfast Club was cute. Blue was really boring. Ten out of the 50 isn't very good.

What films would you have on the list?

I'd add The Usual Suspects and The Sixth Sense because they're good examples of movies with trick endings. After seeing The Usual Suspects I sat in the theatre and said, "Wow." I've loved this film more every time I've seen it. The Sixth Sense I actually figured out before the end. While watching the film I was bugged by what I thought was a timeline/plot problem. Bruce Willis' character always seemed to be getting home at the same time, no matter when the previous scene took place. Then I noticed that he was always wearing the same clothes and a light went on.

I'd also add a couple of dystopia films like Blade Runner and Total Recall. Or what many consider the first dystopia film: Logan's Run

The rush to Y2K brought out a bunch of weird movies. Some are near future sci-fiction like Strange Days but most of them were what I call "end of the millennium devil movies." End of Days and Stigmata are the first to come to mind (both staring Gabriel Byrne for some reason). With the release of a The Omen remake I hope that this was one film trend that is on the way out.

There have been a lot of other film trends over the years (buddy films, hip hop films etc.). I think at least one example from each should be on everyone's "must see" list. How do you know what you like if you don't try some of everything?

How like life.






Reposts are posts written for previous journals or other places online that no longer exist.

No comments:

Post a Comment