Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Getting Creative - Week 31


I went looking for two things. New music. Preferably something “moody” and not just my usual singable/danceable stuff. I also searched for vanilla perfume. I used to wear the one made by The Body Shop but over the years they've changed their formula (or something) and I can't stand what they are currently selling. I can't stand a lot of the stuff they make since they were bought by L'Oréal but that's a whole other blog post.

I had more luck in the music department. I found something new (in the first video below) and some stuff I'd forgotten about. I'm especially glad to find the theme from the TV show Angel (second video). How more moody can you get? I need to find more cello music.







This week's card:
Listen for Voices 
As we move through the routines of our daily lives, we're directed by a cacophony of voices telling us what to do, when to do it, and how we might expect to be rewarded for doing it well. The question we don't often have time to ask, or answer, is why? The creative process lends itself well to that kind of soft, slow-paced self-exploration. Next time you contemplate beginning a creative project start by closing your eyes. Listen for the voices inside that tell you what really matters – not to the world, or to your fourth-grade teacher or to The New York Times' art critic – but to you. No matter how the project itself turns out, the process is sure to speak to you.

We all have inner voices. Most of us have more than one. It can be hard to listen to the RIGHT inner voice. If you're inner critic is anything like mine, he can shout down just about anyone. I've never had a lot of success with meditation. Especially group meditations. The last time I tried, one of the others brought her dog. Halfway through the meditation the dog started snoring. I still laugh every time I think about meditating.

When I'm alone listening to a guided meditation I often fall asleep. I'm sure my inner voice knows how to tap into my dreams if she has anything important to say.

Creativity Resources

Five Pathways to Listening to Your Inner Voice – a short article about how to listen.

How to Do Guided Meditation – basic instruction to get you going.

Mindful Meditation MP3s – from UCLA's Mindful Awareness Research Center

Getting Creative is a 52 week project where I will try to work my way through 52 Ways to Nurture Your Creativity by Lynn Gordon. You're welcome to come along as I do a card a week for a year.

No comments:

Post a Comment