Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Getting Creative - Week 29

I've always had a semi-secret desire to have a dragon tattoo. I was going to get one when I turned 40 but when I went looking for a tattoo artist in Vancouver I found that if they drew dragons at all they drew Asian dragons. I've got nothing against Asian dragons. I think some of them are quite beautiful but I'm not Asian. I want a European dragon. Asian dragons are serpent-like and European dragons are more like dinosaurs.

After spending hours looking at tattoos in shops and online I came to realize that if I wanted a dragon I was going to have to draw it myself and take it to a shop. The idea has been in a holding pattern for years but now I've found a book that might get me motivated: Drawing Dragons. I found it in the sale aisle for $3. When I was a child I used to have a similar book about drawing big cats. I loved that book. It was so easy to follow. I'm hoping this dragon book turns out the same.

I've also found some videos on Youtube for extra motivation. Cross your fingers.

Maybe when I'm 50 I'll get that tattoo.

This week's card:
Free Associate 
Ever watch a dog circling before he flops down to take a nap? Sometimes getting ready to launch a creative project takes the same kind of groundwork. Instead of turning circles on the rug, try jiggling your ideas loose by free associating. Settle into a comfy chair with a pad and pen. On the left side of the page make a list of words, leaving a couple of lines between each entry. Then go down the list and write down everything that comes to mind when you look at the word. Don't stop at salt – pepper; dog-- cat. Go for pepper – red – lipstick – Madonna – virgin; and cat – catwoman – Batman – Robin – egg – chicken. The collection of words will reflect the current contents of your creative mind.

I love mind mapping/free association. I can go quite astray. I can start at eyes and end up with interstellar transport. Don't ask how. I did it and I'm not really sure. Getting there is more than half the fun. I've never actually used anything from any mind map I've ever done but at least I know how to do them. Sometimes just getting your mind going when you've been blocked is a major achievement.

Creativity Resources

Lateral – a free association word game that is quite addicting.

Free Association Word Game – Freud would be so proud.

Online Mind Mapping – a free association tool.

Getting Creative is a 52 week project where I will try to work my way through 52 Ways to Nurture Your Creativity by Lynn Gordon. You're welcome to come along as I do a card a week for a year.

No comments:

Post a Comment