Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Getting Creative - Week 28


I'm lucky I live in a major city like Vancouver. There are so many different (often free) "artsy" things happening every day. I used to make an effort to read the art listing in The Georgia Straight. I don't know why I got out of the habit. While I didn't actually go to any galleries this week, I did get reacquainted with The Straight and I found one multimedia exhibit at the Museum of Vancouver I'm going to check out next month.




I love all kinds of dance. I've always thought Bhangra was cool but when I looked for classes I could only find them for teenagers. Recently I've learned that there something called Bhangra Fitness which I am very tempted to give a try. 




This week's card:
Be Taught or Not 
Do you learn best through self-teaching or do you prefer the structure and outside support of a class? Knowing which learning style works best for you is helpful. Some need the support and guidance of a good teacher to explore a project that seems, at the onset, overwhelming or intimidating. From a private tutorial to a group class, there are many ways to benefit from experienced adult supervision. Of course, if you're a do-it-yourselfer, then go forth and do it yourself!

I'm definitely a do-it-yourselfer when it comes to art. I've tried art classes. I just don't think I got a lot out of them. On the other hand, I might really like one on one instruction. Especially with a young, sexy, struggling artist...

Someday when I win the lotto...

Writing classes are okay if they're small. Too many people and there's not enough time to read and talk about everyone's work which I do not think is fair. I've dropped out of quite a few when there turned out to be more students than advertised in the class. I don't need any one's help to waste my time.


Creativity Resources

Free Online Art Classes – exactly what it sounds like.

Academy of Art University – get degrees in art, photography, game design, film and many others completely online.

Free Online Writing and Journalism Classes – a list of online classes for writers.

Getting Creative is a 52 week project where I will try to work my way through 52 Ways to Nurture Your Creativity by Lynn Gordon. You're welcome to come along as I do a card a week for a year.

No comments:

Post a Comment