Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Getting Creative - Week 27



Well, I didn't buy any art. I didn't make any either. I got too wrapped up in writing all my blog posts for November so I could do NaNoWriMo. In fact, I got so wrapped up I didn't think about what I was going to write so I ended up bailing before the month even began. I need to have a basic outline before Nov. 1 or it's just too stressful for me. I wish I was one of those people who could just sit down at the computer and write on command. Maybe if I had more discipline I could be. Maybe.

What I did end up doing was going to my local dollar store and perusing the Halloween aisle. Those who know me are probably asking what the heck I was doing in the Halloween aisle. I'm Pagan. To me, October 31st is Samhain (pronounced Sowin.) It's sort of like Pagan New Year. The last time I dressed up for Halloween I was in my early 20s. I borrowed my sister's bee costume and went to a party. There was only one other woman at the party. My costume was awfully short (insert pervy stinger joke here.)

Anyway. I needed a plastic sheet to cover my living room rug so that I could paint. I figured the Halloween section would have something useful and twisted. So I bought the bloody table cloth. I probably should have bought more than one. Maybe I'll go back tomorrow and see if there are any left. If they haven't changed into the Christmas aisle. Hmm. I do need some Yule cookie cutters...

This week's card:
Look Out 
Sometimes the best way to jump-start a dormant creative streak is to indulge in other people's creations. Pull out the gallery opening and museum section of the local paper and head to that show on baroque ceramic miniatures. The work of others will perhaps inspire, perhaps annoy, perhaps make you wonder why you aren't creating you own masterpieces. If nothing else, inhaling other's work should partially demystify the process because others, with varying degrees of success, have done it.

Creativity Resources

Virtual Galleries – if you don't happen to have any art galleries nearby you can take a virtual tour of many of the world's great galleries and museums.

Goggle Art Project – look at great art from around the world without going to the gallery or clicking through other stuff in museums.

ArtChain – a listing of artists, co-ops and galleries in the US and Canada. Someone has got to be having a showing.




Getting Creative is a 52 week project where I will try to work my way through 52 Ways to Nurture Your Creativity by Lynn Gordon. You're welcome to come along as I do a card a week for a year.

No comments:

Post a Comment