Saturday, October 8, 2011

Repost - The Signs Are Everywhere




Bono and Larry at Cannes May19, 2007
“Yes, and the more penises you have, the higher your rank. Boys will be boys” – Sir Leigh Teabing (Ian McKellen)


Last night I finally watched The Da Vinci Code. I have to admit I enjoyed the movie. I loved watching Sir Ian as Teabing. He seemed to be having a marvelous time. The quote above made me choke on my drink. Teabing and Langdon are deep in exposition mode, explaining the ancient symbols

for male: two lines forming a peak or penis.

for female: the same symbol inverted to form a womb



I wonder if Bono knows that the symbols on his sleeve (above) proclaim him twice the woman as the next guy. Some wags might say that’s quite believable when the next guy is Larry Mullen but we’ll just leave it be won’t we?

Anyway…

I won’t go into the fact vs fiction debate. I covered that in a previous post: Breaking The Da Vinci Code.

I did like how the movie presented the argument for the vilification of women in Christianity. If Jesus had meant Mary to be his “rock” and not Peter, then Peter had a good reason for turning Mary into a prostitute and making women less then men. The Burning Times make a lot of sense when thought of as The Church’s determined effort to get rid of all the freethinking women. It has always stuck in my craw that John Paul II went around apologizing for a lot of things done by The Church, like the Spanish Inquisition, but he never apologize for torturing and murdering millions of women. Even today, women are killed for being witches. The last known actual witch burning was in 1984.

The idea that The Church has been wrong for 2000 years is very scary to the men in charge. If Mary had led the church, chances are, we would be living in a vastly different world today. The idea that Jesus considered Mary to be fit to lead the faith must be causing apoplexy in some Catholic priests. A while back, a few Canadian women were ordained into the priesthood by a renegade priest when the local news station interviewed a Catholic priest here in Vancouver he actually said that women could not be priests because only men can have a special relationship with god.

And people wonder why I’m no longer Catholic.






Reposts are posts written for previous journals or other places online that no longer exist.


No comments:

Post a Comment