Saturday, October 29, 2011

Repost: Live Aid DVD






Dancing With Tears In My Eyes – oops wrong band

I didn’t watch the concert way back when. I didn’t have a television in 1985. I have to admit that I skipped a lot of the DVD. For some strange reason I didn’t think many of the acts were that good. Except for the following:

U2
Mullet and frosting aside, how could I not be impressed by Bono’s image making instincts (above)? I wonder what happened to that girl. Was it a life changing experience? Did she move to Africa and open up an orphanage or did she become a manager at McDonalds? Any of you U2 freaks reading this know?

Live Aid: U2 – Bad



George Thorogood

He did a rockin’ version of Madison Blues. I’d forgotten how interesting his guitar playing was. Thorogood is one of only two “Southern” guitarists I like. Now I’m on a search for mp3s for my collection.

Live Aid: George Thorogood - Madison Blues



Queen
What can I say? There will never be a band like them again. As I was watching I kept thinking of how amazing it was that in the 70s a bisexual man named Farrokh Bulsara from Zanzibar could become a British rock star named Freddie Mercury. He was like no one else and no one can replace him. I know the three surviving members are still working but I don’t believe there can be a Queen without Freddie.

Live Aid: Queen – Bohemian Rhapsody/Radio Ga Ga



There were two other acts I watched all the way through:

David Bowie
I’m a big fan but I really hate 80s Bowie. I hate the music. I hate the dance moves. I hate the clothes. But I watched it anyway. If you look around the internet, a lot of people think he was pretty good.

Live Aid: David Bowie – Heroes



Ultravox
The only song I have by them is Dancing With Tears In My Eyes. I watched them because I’m totally in love with Midge Ure’s accent. I could sit and listen to that man talk all day. He could read the dictionary and I’d be happy. I wasn’t that impressed with Vienna at Live Aid. I prefer the more recent version:

Live 8: Midge Ure and Eddie Izzard – Vienna


Eddie looks so intense, as if he’s saying “Don’t fuck it up, don’t fuck it up. Christ, I fucked it up. Don’t fuck up again. Don’t fuck up again.” I wonder how he let himself get talked into playing piano in the first place.



Reposts are posts written for previous journals or other places online that no longer exist.

No comments:

Post a Comment