Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Getting Creative - Week 24


I'm not sure if this counts as “stream of consciousness” but I had a dream that woke me up and sent me to the computer at 5 am. Two hours later I had the beginnings of a story or maybe a novel. I'm calling it Metropolis Alpha for now. I have an overall form the story will take. I need to do a bit of research on the specifics. Yes, I'm being vague. I don't like to say too much about what I'm working on. I don't want to jinx it.

This week's card:
Be in Nature 
Sometimes removing yourself from all forms of civilization provides just the empty canvas you need. Maybe you crave the extra time and space to think through a project and you just can't get it in an urban jungle. Take a short walk on the beach or a week-long camping trip in the woods. Bring your supplies in case you feel inspired or leave them at home so you'll have fresh ideas to work on when you return.

I'm going to tell you straight out that the possibility of this happening is slim to nil. I'm really not a nature girl. I used to jokingly say that I get nervous if I can't see concrete. I've come to realize that it's not a joke. I never did like “the great outdoors.” It's a shame that I live in a city that has a lot of outdoors to offer. I can handle the occasional trip to Stanley Park or English Bay. I haven't been to either place in months. Maybe if the weather is good I'll go and have lunch on the seawall.  Not too far away from the cars...

Creativity Resources

Nature as Creativity Booster – A blog post on how nature can help you be more creative.

One artist's take on how nature effects her creativity:






About the image: Director Peter Jackson in a Hobbit house set built for his film The Hobbit. For some reason whenever I think of living in harmony with nature I think of Hobbits.



Getting Creative is a 52 week project where I will try to work my way through 52 Ways to Nurture Your Creativity by Lynn Gordon. You're welcome to come along as I do a card a week for a year.


No comments:

Post a Comment