Thursday, October 6, 2011

Getting Creative - Week 23


This week I spent a lot of time trying to figure out what I “loved” to do. Then Steve Jobs died and people started posting the video below. I think it sums up why you should find what you love before it's too late.




This week's card:
Stream of Consciousness 
As the bumper sticker says, “The mind is like a parachute: it works best when open.” But where creativity is concerned, sometimes the mind works best when it's not working at all. Try giving yourself an hour or a day of recess, when you let your subconscious run the show. Give your hand permission to draw unrecognizable shapes in uncharacteristic colors. Let your voice reach for notes you're sure you can't sing. Let your fingers type a story that seems to make no sense. Even if you don't end up framing, recording or publishing these flights of fancy, learning to loosen your inhibitions will add taste and color to your more conscious creations.

I'm kind of looking forward to this one. There's no telling where my mind might go if I just let it.


Creativity Resources:

Free Your Mind: The Scientific Approach to Creativity – an interesting article about tapping into your subconscious.

Silversphere – A game that requires you to think creatively. 25 levels each with a different kind of problem to work your mind around.

Getting Creative is a 52 week project where I will try to work my way through 52 Ways to Nurture Your Creativity by Lynn Gordon. You're welcome to come along as I do a card a week for a year.

No comments:

Post a Comment