Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Getting Creative - Week 20



So another week has gone by and I have no idea where it went. We had a sudden weather change – from hot and sunny to overcast and cool – which gave me a “weather” migraine. That took up two days. I'm really not sure where the other five went. I know I didn't work on my “monkey mind” at all.

I spent some of the time looking at art forgeries this week. Some forgers spent years getting another artist's techniques right. I have to wonder what they might have created if they'd worked on their own techniques. I was looking at forgeries because I have an idea for a story but I have to do a lot more research to get it fleshed out. If I stick to my usual pattern, I'll research and research and research until I'm thoroughly sick of the topic. At that point I'll put all the research in a box and it will sit there until I decide to throw it out.

This week's card:
Raw Material 
There's a place in the world for frozen peas, salad in a bag, and even processed cheese – but who wouldn't rather bite into a fresh-hulled pea, a fresh-picked lettuce leaf, or a morsel of aged Brie? When it comes to buying what you need to stimulate and satisfy your urge to create, you can make a similar choice: buy high on the food chain (prestretched canvases, preselected watercolor sets, paint-by-numbers software programs) or treat yourself to raw materials that touch the raw nerve of your creativity. No need to consider it a luxury to walk into an art store and pick up two or three things you've never tried – just consider it your creativity staples.

I have a teensy problem with this card. I don't know how to make my own canvases. Even if I did I don't have the tools or the room for it. The idea that there is “convenience” art and that it is less than any other creative activity pisses me off. It doesn't matter what supplies you have. The art is in what you do with them. No one grinds up bugs to make paint any more. Does that mean artists of the 20th century are any less than artists of the 15th? I don't think so.

The last sentence of the card doesn't fit the theme. Buying something you haven't tried before is a good idea. It doesn't matter where in the art “food chain” they are.


Creativity Resources:

Creativity Supplies - An article about art supplies for kids which gives the art studio basics.

How to Abuse Your Art Supplies - Exactly what it sounds like.


About the image: yellow-red-blue by Wassily Kandinsky 1925.


Getting Creative is a 52 week project where I will try to work my way through 52 Ways to Nurture Your Creativity by Lynn Gordon. You're welcome to come along as I do a card a week for a year.

No comments:

Post a Comment