Thursday, September 8, 2011

Getting Creative - Week 19

Long weekend always mess me up. Especially when I have no appointments the following week that makes me have to pay attention to the calendar. I didn't get much done in the way of clearing stuff away. I did find an  article that has a  great idea for avoiding clutter and chaos.


This week's card:
Remember the Little Engine That Could, chugging its way up the hill, huffing, "I think I can! I think I can! as it went? Sometimes you've got to be your own little engine, chanting "I know I can! I know I can!" despite all the seemingly inarguable evidence to the contrary. And while you're chanting for self-confidence, try these other mantras. Say the names of all the people you admire (including yourself) who have overcome adversity to achieve great (self-defined) success. Say the names of all the people who have achieved this success when they were your age, or older. Say the names of all people who believe in your more than you believe in yourself.
I have always hated the Little Engine That Could. To be fair, I never encountered it until after I became a cynic.  Let's face it. If I was a character from a children's book I'd be Eeyore. I've even had  a shrink ask me if I could try to be 50% less cynical. I laughed and said it sounds like a soap commercial. New. Improved. 50% less cynical. He had no sense of humor so he got quite angry. He actually lost it. Cynic 1. Shrink 0.

I've never been able to get with the whole mantra/affirmation train. My "monkey mind" gets in the way. Before I can progress, I have to find some way to turn it off. Or at least slow it down.  I think that's why I get caught up in video games online. My mind is quieter. Probably because it's not important. It's just a game.

Creativity Resources



List of Positive Affirmations - gives you some affirmations for different parts of your life.

Why You Must Love Yourself First - it's said that no one can truly love you until you love yourself.




Getting Creative is a 52 week project where I will try to work my way through 52 Ways to Nurture Your Creativity by Lynn Gordon. You're welcome to come along as I do a card a week for a year.

No comments:

Post a Comment