Thursday, August 25, 2011

Getting Creative - Week 17




When I started this weekly series I had no idea I was in for three months of insomnia. Two weeks ago I got new meds that sent me for a loop. I've been doing the bare minimum since then. It's really hard to concentrate. I'm only sleeping six hours a night with the meds. I'm practically a zombie the rest of the time. I need the six hours of sleep but if I'm a zombie for the rest of the time it's not good.

Last week's card was about laughing at yourself. I know that a lot of the things I write about in this blog are not happy, shiny things. One reason is that there are HUGE parts of my life I'm not allowed to write about. There is so much I cannot say because of a few people who read this blog. I wish I could just say Frak it all and publish and be damned.

I use email a lot. I never talk about the contents of any emails without the other person's approval. Even when some of the stuff is pretty funny and I'm DYING to share it with the world. I hate those emails that start with “between you, me and the lamp post” because I know something really cool/funny/juicy is coming. I will respect anyone's wishes to keep our convos private, but some times it burns!

Anyway. The point of those last two paragraphs is that this blog is a tiny bit artificial because I am not completely free to say whatever here.

Now onwards and upwards.

A true story.

I used to go to Stanley park and feed peanuts to the squirrels. The squirrels love you if you have nuts for them. They will follow you anywhere and keep bugging you until they are absolutely sure that you do not have any nuts left.

One day I was about half way through my peanuts when all the squirrels disappeared. This had happened once before. The squirrels were gone and I suddenly got a tug on one of my pant legs. I looked down and there was a momma raccoon and her babies. That was the only time I'd ever had a raccoon come to me for a handout. After that I left peanuts in a bush they slept in.

Anyway, on this particular day, I looked down but there was no raccoon so I was perplexed. I looked behind me and a few yard away all the squirrels were gathered around a guy. I watched for a minute and I realized that he was giving out pecans. Me and my peanuts had been rejected for a better class of nut.

No rejection has ever stung quite so much.

This week's card:
Aspire 
Although the public expression of unbridled egotism is considered gauche, having a healthy ego and ambitious goals are often the first steps towards achieving them. You may not aspire to be a Madonna-size superstar but what about something a smidgen smaller? Without inhibitions, what would you aspire towards? What first steps can you take to get there?


Creativity Resources

Goals and Aspirations Blog  - lots of things to think about.

Setting Personal Goals - good info on how to set goals.


I know this isn't the point of this week's card but it is really funny:





About the image: Lightsabre Squirrels. I found it years ago. I have no idea who created the picture. Anyone?


Getting Creative is a 52 week project where I will try to work my way through 52 Ways to Nurture Your Creativity by Lynn Gordon. You're welcome to come along as I do a card a week for a year.

No comments:

Post a Comment