Thursday, August 18, 2011

Getting Creative - Week 16




So. Here it is Thursday. Again. I've been trying to get into Blogger for two days. I don't know what was wrong but it was very annoying. I've actually started making a “to do” list. I even found a cool website called TeuxDuex. It's very easy to use and I just might use the site because its name makes me smile. I like twisty titles. For years I started every grocery list by writing Chopin Liszt on the top. I know most of you get it. Way back when, I actually had a pad with Chopin Liszt printed across the top. I think I may start using it again.

Anyway, back to the “to do” lists. That's sort of like giving yourself deadlines. Which reminds me I have a couple of things to add to my list. I figure If I can get used to meeting everyday deadlines I can work my way up to meeting my creative deadlines. That's the theory.

This week's card:
Laugh at Yourself 
It is possible (and highly recommended) that keeping your sense of humor while exploring personal creative expression will make the process much more enjoyable. Which is not to suggest that your creative endeavor isn't a serious one, as much as to state that YOU are not your project. The ability to poke fun at yourself as you both fumble and succeed will keep you human while keeping your critical voices in check and your work in perspective.

I may seem like I take myself seriously but that's not really the case. I care about some fairly serious issues. That doesn't mean I don't know I'm a silly person. I do silly, self sabotaging things. I have some “issues” nothing that years of expensive therapy wouldn't help. Until then I'll muddle along.


Creativity Resources

It's Important to be Able to Laugh at Yourself  - A short article with some good points.

Laughter  – some funny quotes about laughter.

Eddie Izzard on the differece between being cool and looking like a dickhead.





About the image: A screencap from the I Love Lucy episode called Job Switching


Getting Creative is a 52 week project where I will try to work my way through 52 Ways to Nurture Your Creativity by Lynn Gordon. You're welcome to come along as I do a card a week for a year.



1 comment:

  1. Great post Madison! I like the Chopin Listz! :) teux deux looks cool. I just wish they had an android app. Maybe soon! :0) I need to work on laughing at myself. I think I take myself too seriously. Love the laughter quotes and I love Lucy always makes me laugh. Happy Friday and hang in there. I don't think we ever get all of our to do list done!

    ReplyDelete