Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Getting Creative - Week 15



My continuing search for sleep has lead me to try a new med which I am calling “Fukitdol.” I got it from my doctor on Friday and I've done as little as possible since taking the first one. I'm sleeping through the night which is great but I might as well be asleep when I'm awake. It's really hard to concentrate on anything. Last week's card was about doing it wrong. I didn't do it at all. I actually sharpened a pencil the other day but I have no idea what I did next. It's still sitting on my desk. I'm hoping I will adjust to this med soon so that I can get back to doing things.

Story of my life. I decide to do something – like a series of weekly entries on creativity – and my body finds one or more ways to mess it up. Normally I'd have abandoned this project after the second week. I'm going to chug along. Hopefully I won't break a bone or end up in the hospital.

This week's card:
Give Yourself Deadlines 
When it comes to biological clocks and IRS payments, deadlines are no fun at all. But for the creative person, deadlines can be a blessing – an easily administered self-cure for the dreaded, output-diminishing disease of procrastination. Punishing yourself with impossible expectations won't help; the trick is to create time-lines that are realistic yet challenging. Make a date next month with a friend to read the story you are writing. Buy tickets to a concert you'll attend on the day after you finish your stained glass window. Promise yourself that you'll finish weaving that rug in time for Christmas – this Christmas.

Deadlines don't work for me. In school I always wrote my assignments the day before they were due. Each year I try to do NaNoWriMo or Script Frenzy. Every year I get sicker than a dog by the second week and give it up. I will always meet deadlines for job related things. Other than that I just can't bring myself to care.


Creativity Resources

DIASHO  – Time management software






Getting Creative is a 52 week project where I will try to work my way through 52 Ways to Nurture Your Creativity by Lynn Gordon. You're welcome to come along as I do a card a week for a year.


No comments:

Post a Comment