Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Getting Creative - Week 14


Last week was supposed to be all about hiding little things that spark your creativity all over the place. True to my contrary nature, I found things all over and collected them in a box. I found a tube of purple sparkle glue in my knife drawer for Hecate's sake. Don't ask me. I have no idea.

I think surrounding yourself with things that spark your creativity is a very good idea. I keep telling myself I'm going to put some pictures on the two walls by my computer desk. I look at them all day and right now they're blank. Some day I may actually put something there.

When I worked in an office I used to put up pictures and cartoons that I liked on the walls I had to look at all day. People would come and stand around my desk looking at everything. Some of them would get annoyed if I hadn't changed anything lately. I always wondered why they never did something similar with their workspace.

It used to be that whenever I moved into a new home the first things I'd put up were posters. I can't remember the last time I had a poster on my wall. It suddenly makes me feel as if I've never really moved into this apartment. I might have to go through my posters and pick one.

This week's card:
Do It Wrong 
Rare is the person who hasn't had his or her creative process interrupted, blocked, or sabotaged by the insistent internal voice that proclaims, “You're doing it wrong! You're doing it wrong!” There's one surefire antidote to this defeatist message: go ahead and do it wrong. Instead of striving for perfection – just this once – paint the worst picture imaginable. Chisel out the silliest sculpture. Sew a skirt you wouldn't wish on your worst enemy. Then notice what does and doesn't, transpire as a result. Did the world, or your passion for your art, grind to a halt? No? Great! Have a laugh, rip up your imperfect creation (or not), and move right along.

I don't know if I can do this. I have this real problem that if I don't do something that is acceptable to my standards I don't finish. I just junk it and start over. I get frustrated with myself if I don't do things perfectly the first time. I know that's stupid. I have issues.


Creativity Resources

Classic Cat - Free and legal downloads of classical music.

Mr. Piccassohead - Yes. It's just what it sounds like. You're welcome.



Getting Creative is a 52 week project where I will try to work my way through 52 Ways to Nurture Your Creativity by Lynn Gordon. You're welcome to come along as I do a card a week for a year.

No comments:

Post a Comment