Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Getting Creative - Week 13

Last week was all about gathering your previous work so you could see how much you'd improved. I spent a couple of unproductive hours reading some of my older stuff. I had the idea that I might find something in that file that I could work with. I didn't.

Don't mind me. My sleep has been disturbed for the past two months. I get really grouchy when I don't get enough sleep. I also find it hard to concentrate on things. Eventually it will all work itself out. I hope.

This week's card:
Easy Art Access 
Remember that multicolored mobile Mom hung over your crib to keep your infant eyes alert and your imagination piqued? Well, it's your job to keep yourself stimulated now, and one good way is to surround yourself with supplies that tickle your inner artist. Hide vials of glitter in the medicine cabinet. Trip over boxes of modeling clay. Slip pieces of construction paper in with your business letterhead. Stick assorted Day-Glo markers into the silverware drawer. Stash Rubber stamp pads where you keep your envelopes. You'll keep yourself tickled by creativity.

I laughed when I read this. I have art supplies all over the apartment. I keep buying them and not using them. I have very limited storage space so I am often literally tripping over things. When I look for something I'm always finding glitter or stickers or stamps that somehow haven't made their way to my makeshift creativity trunk.

You guys remember Mr. Dressup right? The Tickle Trunk? It was a wondrous thing that contained everything they needed to play dress up. I'm working towards the same kind of thing but with art supplies. Right now it's just a box but I can see it turning into a trunk.

Sometimes when I'm looking for inspiration, I look at video tutorials from artists. Here's one I found the other day on drawing Manga.





Creativity Resources

How to Make Modeling Clay – Four different recipes for you to try.

201 Ways to Arouse Your Creativity - Interesting suggestions for writers. A lot of them can be modified to fit other creative forms.

About the image: I got this stamp set at the  PADS garage sale a couple of weeks ago. I need to get some ink pads and funky paper now. It's a cute set. I could argue about the sounds they assigned to a few of the symbols but what the heck. There is a new version available along with a lot of other Egyptian stuff for kids.


Getting Creative is a 52 week project where I will try to work my way through 52 Ways to Nurture Your Creativity by Lynn Gordon. You're welcome to come along as I do a card a week for a year.

No comments:

Post a Comment