Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Getting Creative - Week 10

I started reading Ken Robinson's Out of Our Minds: Learning to be Creative. As I've mentioned before, I totally “heart” Ken Robinson. I think my life would have taken a much different path if his ideas about intelligence, education and creativity had been put in place during my school years.


All children are born artists. The problem is to remain artist as we grow up. - Pablo Picasso

I'm always reminded of that quote whenever I listen to Ken Robinson's TED talks (below). He says that children are not afraid of failure. If they don't know they'll “have a go”.

Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working. - Pablo Picasso

I can relate to that quote. I get all kinds of idea but when I sit down to work on them I run out of steam quickly. That's if I even remember what the idea was by the time I get to the computer. I've tried keeping a pen and paper handy. Problem is that I usually can't read my handwriting after 10 minutes or so. I'm told that bad handwriting is part of being dyslexic. Don't really know how but there you go.


This week's card:

Soak In It 

Although many people are just Sunday painters, it can take more than the couple of hours left after the crossword puzzle and cup of coffee to get into the mood to create a masterpiece. Once a month (or more if you can) create an open-ended day allowing yourself to move through a number of moods, energy levels and epiphanous artistic moments. Better still, take a week-long ceramics vacation soaking in clay (or whatever your medium is) and the company of others who thrive on that medium. Total immersion might be just what it takes to reach critical creative mass.

I'll admit to being at a loss for what to do this week. I don't really have the time/energy/money to take another art class. Especially a one week intensive. I'm going to have to rub my brain a little longer before I come up with something. Unless anyone out there has a suggestion.

Creativity Resources.

Picasso Quotes http://www.iwise.com/PBOb4 – a bunch of quotes on creativity and being an artist. Links to other quotes by other people.







Getting Creative is a 52 week project where I will try to work my way through  52 Ways to Nurture Your Creativity by Lynn Gordon. You're welcome to come along as I do a card a week for a year.

No comments:

Post a Comment