Saturday, July 2, 2011

Boldly Goin'

the t-shirt in question

I've just returned from a trip to the grocery store. Normally I wouldn't be anywhere near a food store on a weekend but I ran out of caffeine and I've got a headache coming. I didn't put much thought into what I was wearing. I was just running to the local market not even a block away. If I had thought about it a little longer I probably wouldn't have worn my Utopia Planitia shirt. I know it's likely to get comments. Usually people just say something and keep going. Not today. This guy with a VERY LOUD VOICE said, “That's the nerdiest shirt I've seen all week.” That would have been fine but then he started describing every nerdy thing he'd seen in the past week. All with a VERY LOUD VOICE. Sigh. All the while, the only thing running through my head was. “Need caffeine. Need caffeine NOW!” There really is no point in talking to me when I'm trying to stave off a migraine.

I made it home before...

...um...

Sorry about that. A couple of pigeons just started making out on my balcony. There is something disturbing about pigeons cooing along to Prince's When Doves Cry. I hope my new balcony is not about to become a popular pigeon make out spot. I'm already starting to feel like Tippi Hedren.

Where was I? Never mind.

I mentioned in a previous post that yesterday was Canada's birthday aka Canada Day. Don't ask me how old Canada is. I haven't a clue. The first thing I thought when I woke up yesterday was, “It's Dominic Keating's birthday.” In my defense one of the last thing I read before going to bed was a post on Star Trek Infinite Space's facebook wall that said it was Dominic's 49th birthday.

Dominic & 5 of the Seattle Six (2002)
How things have changed. I remember back in 2001 when Enterprise started that we weren't allowed to tell anyone how old Dominic was. His IMDb page didn't have an age but it was easy to ball park because he'd been in a Vidal Sassoon commercial. I always knew he was older than me but for some reason I thought he was 4 years old. Turns out he's only 2.

I can't believe it's been 9 years since I gave Dominic a tube of aloe vera gel for his sunburn. And no, I didn't offer to spread it on for him. I went to Seattle to see Dominic and John Billingsley at a Star Trek convention. I also went to meet 5 women I'd gotten to know on the (now defunct) message board at dominickeating.com. I hadn't been to a con in years but I really wanted to meet these people so I took the bus from Vancouver. Eight hours of my life I'll never get back. I learned to never again wear new shoes to a con. On the way home, the bus driver, a fellow Trekkie, actually dropped me off in front of my building so I didn't have to walk the four blocks from the bus stop. I have never been so thankful for a simple kindness.

Me & Dominic in Vegas (2002)
In 2002 I got on a plane for the first time in my life and flew to Las Vegas. In August. It was 115 degrees when I landed. It just got hotter. I ended up with heat stroke. But the trip was a great time. I met up with a whole bunch of other women from Dominic's board and we had fun. I ended up only going to one day of the con. The other 4 days were spent seeing the sites and laughing with my online friends.

I just looked through my souvenirs from my adventures in Trekdom. I couldn't find anything from that first con in Seattle which is strange. I've got tons of stuff from Vegas and from LA (August 2003) including a kangaroo condom. Anyone have any idea where/how I got it? Dominic?

I also found letters I got from Dominic and John. I'd forgotten how bad their handwriting is. It's almost as bad as mine. Thank the gods for email. It takes so much guess work out of correspondence. I also found a Christmas card from John. I'd totally forgotten about it. Now we just exchange emails. So much easier.

Dominic's birthday has lead me to a trip down memory lane. Some of the people I met in 2002 are still friends. Some I've lost track of but would love to hear from. John and I still email each other every now and then but I haven't heard from Dominic in years. I'm regretting my decision not to go and see him at the con here last month. I miss his slightly off color sense of humor. And he's a totally good hugger. The kind that means it and not just offering it because he thinks he should. LOL.

He doesn't facebook or Twitter. His website no longer has a message board and there's no fan mail address. I suppose it doesn't really matter. It's the friendships I've formed while orbiting around Mr. Keating that are important. Still, I wouldn't be against a DK's Peeps reunion with or without the man himself.

No comments:

Post a Comment