Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Getting Creative - Week 8



I haven't spent a lot of time thinking about being creative this week. In the past three weeks the only time I've gotten more than two hours sleep a night is when I had my migraine last week. I went to the doctor yesterday and got a major sedative which didn't work as well as expected. I've been kind of foggy all day so you'll have to excuse me if this post gets foggy too.


On the subject of what moves me. I love music. If (when) I lose my hearing, music is the thing I will miss most. In the world of classical composers the guy from the beet farm is my boy. I'm not sure why I have always loved Beethoven. Some of my friends adore Mozart. I think he's okay. I always feel that he's saying, "Look what I can do!" with each of his pieces. Beethoven seems to say, "This is how I feel." A much more important statement in my book.


From the very first time I heard it the "Moonlight" Sonata made me cry. Beethoven dedicated the piece to his student Countess Giulietta Guicciardi. Many people think the 31 year old Beethoven was in love with the 17 year old Giulietta.







I've been a long time fan of Gary Oldman and when I heard he was making a movie about Beethoven (Immortal Beloved) I started reading about the composer. The title of the movie refers to a letter written by Beethoven to an unknown woman, his "immortal beloved". 


Me being me, I started thinking about what would happen if his lover really was immortal. What if she was a vampire? What if the Moonlight Sonata was written for his moonlight (vampire) lover?

Somewhere in my box of papers is the first scene of a movie where Beethoven is paying a visit to Joseph Haydn an hour before sunrise. He runs into a beautiful woman. She smiles at him but does not stop...


Then there's another scene that takes place years later when Beethoven has discovered what his lover is and wants her to "turn" him. She refuses telling him he would be deaf for eternity. Beethoven gets angry and sends her away.


The last scene takes place a few years later when Beethoven is dying. The vampire appears at his bedside. He tells her he is ready to die. She takes him in her arms and bites his neck.


Maybe someday I'll actually get around to work on that script again.




Here's this week's card:
Live Dangerously 
Are you a risk taker? Are you comfortable taking action in unpredictable social, emotional or professional situations? Exploring creative projects is certainly a risky endeavor as there is often no way to measure progress or success during the early stages. Becoming comfortable with taking risks in other areas of your life will increase your tolerance for uncertainty, making the pursuit of creative projects a bit more comfortable.




Creativity Resources:




Taking Creative Risks - some suggestions for little "risks" for those wanting to take baby steps.



The Wheel of Creativity - a blog about creativity



Everything is a Remix Part 1 from Kirby Ferguson on Vimeo.


About the image: a screencap from the film Immortal Beloved staring Gary Oldman as Beethoven.




Getting Creative is a 52 week project where I will try to work my way through  52 Ways to Nurture Your Creativity by Lynn Gordon. You're welcome to come along as I do a card a week for a year.

No comments:

Post a Comment