Thursday, June 16, 2011

Getting Creative – Week 7


3 Muses: Clio, Euterpe and Thalia


‘You owe it to us all to get on with what you’re good at.’ ~W. H. Auden

I've spent the last 36+ hours with a migraine from hell. I was online for about a half an hour yesterday before the nausea forced me to take more meds and go back to bed. It's amazing how much email can pile up if you don't keep up. It's like a monster that grows exponentially. At this point it's not so much “you've got mail” but “the mail's got you!”

Medicating your brain can empty it of all rational thought. I don't recommend it. The last thing I did before the headache struck was watch an episode of Sanctuary. While under the influence, I dreamed that I was in the Sanctuary. I don't remember much about the dream but it involved Henry's werewolf.

When I want to stop my “monkey mind” from driving me crazy or when it gets so loud in my head that I can't do anything, I play games. There I said it. I game. I'm not hard core like the people on The Guild. I play browser games because my computer is so old it can't play anything else. Sometimes I play silly games like Crazy Taxi on Facebook but most time I play “strategy” games like City of Wonder or Call of Gods.

The problem with gaming is that I can get so involved in “not” thinking that I don't have time to do anything else. It's not unheard of for me to play a game for 14 hours. Especially on weekends when I refuse to do any “work”. I can forget to eat when I game. Eventually my stomach hurts and I have to feed it RIGHT NOW. That means I just grab something quick. I don't have time to cook “real food” so I often make a sandwich. Not really a healthy choice.

Luckily I usually get bored of gaming after a couple of months and I look for something else to do. That's usually the best time for me to start a creative project. Fingers crossed that the boredom comes early.

Here's this week's card:
What moves you? 
For some, it's a Mozart concerto. For others, it's a first-grade finger painting, a Zuni fetish, a Tibetan mandala or an uncolorized Ingmar Bergman film. A creative person can always use a ready source of inspiration, (or two, or ten). So keep a ready supply of whatever it is that moves you close at hand and take time to soak up the magic. Close your eyes and let the waves of melody was over you. Imagine yourself as a sis-year-old, fingers coated with poster paint. Better yet, buy yourself some paints and become that six-year-old again. For best results, administer these doses of enticement unsparingly and often.

What moves you? I'm stuck on the word “moves”. Moves me how? Some things move me but not in a good way. I don't do that “tortured artist” crap. Stuff that makes me feel bad just makes me feel bad. It doesn't make me want to create anything. I don't think I'm the only one.

Yeah, I'm just getting picky because I have no idea what moves me any more. Eddie Izzard makes me smile. I don't really get creative after watching him. Oddly enough when I do get within a few yards of him in real life I get the urge to “girlify” myself. The day after I saw his last show I went out and bought a bunch of makeup and two pairs of heels. Makeup I eventually threw out and two pairs of heels I wore for a week and then shoved to the back of my closet. Sigh. I guess I'll just have to go out in search of something that moves me in the right direction.



Creativity Resources:


The Music That Moves You - A Gospel Music Internet Broadcast (Facebook Page)


How To Find What You Are Good At - Basic instructions for finding your "passion" if you don't already know.














Books by Ken Robinson:


Out of Our Minds: Learning to be Creative

The Element


Getting Creative is a 52 week project where I will try to work my way through  52 Ways to Nurture Your Creativity by Lynn Gordon. You're welcome to come along as I do a card a week for a year.

No comments:

Post a Comment