Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Getting Creative - Week 6



I can't believe another week has gone by. Did you get anything done? I didn't. I've been too busy playing various games or reading until 4 am. When I started this project I thought it might force me to get things done. So far it hasn't worked. I think I've underestimated my ability to procrastinate. It seems I can find all kinds of things to do other than what I SHOULD be doing.

I guess that makes me human. Sigh.

I'm typing this listening to Do You Wanna Date My Avatar which is making me think about Call of Gods which is a new game that I've started this week. I've been trying to log on to the game server for the past 3 hours. I've got stuff to do in world. I'm frustrated.

Lest you think I did nothing creative this week, please turn your attention to the picture above. I am very cause oriented. I've been know to tilt at windmills. Endgame is a Canadian television show on Showcase. Well it was. The network has decided to pull the plug after less than 2 months. What kind of show can find it's audience in less than 2 months? Especially when there are hockey playoffs and finale episodes of almost every other show on television. So I've joined the  Save Endgame movement. More than that I've offered to organize/run a chess tournament if people are interested. Somebody please stop me before I volunteer again.

This week's card:
Brain Drain 
Creative expression may seem to spring from the movement of a paintbrush across the artist's canvas or the vibration of the vocal chords through the singer's lips. But the origin of creativity lies much deeper; it's actually the percolation of the unconscious that bubbles up onto the canveas or into the concert hall. To tap into that source, slow down, tune out the static and rest the brain. Go to the local Zen center (or your bedroom closet), mediate for an hour, and not the thought that struggle to the surface. Take a nap and write down what you dream. Or be your own analyst – lie down, close your eyes and just start talking.

I can tell you right now that I am not going to meditate. For an hour? I can't even do it for five minutes. I have something called Monkey Mind. I can't ever block everything out. My life has a soundtrack. If I'm not listening to music or singing you can be sure that I'm hearing music in my head. My dreams have soundtracks.

You'd think that I'd be some awesome musician. Not so much. I hate practicing. I was in the school band in grade school. I played clarinet. Unfortunately I picked up things a lot faster than the other kids and I had to wait for them to catch up. That left me doing the same old same old two thirds of the time. BORING. I quit after a few months.

The hating to practice shows up in other places. I get pissed off at myself if I can't draw something the way I want to right away. I don't want to do it badly a million times until I get to something decent. If I can't draw a perfect circle on the first try I'm not going to try again.

I'm that way with writing too. I never re-write. It shows. I know. I never re-wrote anything in school. Hell I usually started term papers the night before they were due so there was no chance of re-writing. When it comes to fiction, by the time I'm done a story I'm so sick of it that I never want to see it again. There's no way I can turn around and re-write. I know they say that you should put it away for a while and then re-write but if I put it away I won't look at it again for months (years) and when I do look at it again I will, more often than not, decide that it's garbage and toss it out.

Yeah. I know. I have to get over myself. Sigh.

Creativity Resources

25 WAYS TO cultivate creativity every day - Geared towards teachers who want to make their students more creative.

7 Simple Ways to Clear Your Mind - Easy exercises to drain your brain.

Cultivating the Creative Mind








Getting Creative is a 52 week project where I will try to work my way through  52 Ways to Nurture Your Creativity by Lynn Gordon. You're welcome to come along as I do a card a week for a year.

No comments:

Post a Comment