Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Getting Creative - Week 5


Sometimes wanting is not enough motivation. I started the week with an idea of what I was going to do to make my living space a more creative space. Then I started putting if off. Fast forward to yesterday. I've spent the last 25 hours in bed. Asleep. I go through phases. Sometimes I sleep very little for weeks at a time. Eventually it all catches up to me. Say good bye to a chunk of Tuesday and most of Wednesday.

I did manage to clean out a box so that I could get my art supplies all in one place. Now they've been tossed in there and I'll have to dig around if I want to find anything. It's a temporary solution but at least it's a step in the right direction. I also set up the easel that I bought last year. I hadn't even taken it out of the box yet. If there had been something wrong with it I wouldn't have been able to take it back. Sigh. I was going to take pictures of my progress but the camera has a dead battery.

Anyway.

Back to cleaning out the box. I'm sure everyone has opened a box that they haven't looked at in years and found things they didn't remember having. I found a copy of the Last Will & Testament of Errol Flynn. Seriously. I would have had to write to LA to get an actual copy. I don't remember doing that.

Many years ago I was working on a project trying to trace Flynn's Zaca. In October of 1959 Flynn (and his teenaged companion) came to Vancouver to sell his boat to millionaire George Caldough. The original story I read said he was selling the Sirroco. A website  about the two boats doesn't mention anything about either boat being bought by Caldough. Myth and legend. Who knows? Either way, there's no reason I can think of now for me to want/need a copy of Flynn's will. I can't explain it.

The other odd thing I found was a page from one of those “while you were out” message pads. In my handwriting it says Steve Betty Page Club Saving space for you at the next gathering. In neat block printing are the following words: I haven't got at thing to wear! See you in the buff.

I don't recognize the handwriting. Nor do I remember who Steve is. Once upon a time I did know some of the organizers of Vancouver's Betty Page Club but I don't think I ever went to an event. The whole note is a mystery to me. Or should I say another page in an on going mystery. A few years ago I found a postcard from Steve. It bugs me that I have no idea who this man is. The note makes it clear we were more than casual acquaintances.

See how easy it is for me to get sidetracked? Cleaning up my creative space is going to be an ongoing project. Maybe I'll post pictures when it's all done.

This week's card:

Change your limitations 
Whatever your medium, surrounding yourself with the tools of someone else's trade can jiggle your creative energy. If you're a writer, get yourself a set of watercolors, promise yourself that no one will ever see the mess you make on the paper (or off it), and paint the dream you had last night. If painting is your thing, keep a lump of clay someplace where you can give it a pat or a pinch on your way to answer the phone. If your voice is your instrument, buy, find, or make yourself a drum, take it to a deserted beach at midnight, and pound it while you howl at the moon. Remember: Where creativity's concerned, the sky isn't the limit, it's the point of departure.

Hmm. Howling at the moon on a beach. Just another Wednesday night at English Bay. I have a whole bunch of art supplies. I guess I'm going to have to use them this week.


Creativity Resources:

Learn To Draw.com  - an easy to follow course you can do in your spare time. Free.

Learn to Sing Better  - a series of videos to help you improve your voice.


Are you familiar with Art Attack? I'm always amazed at how he can see the finished work out of bits and pieces.










About the image: A screencap from my favorite Errol Flynn movie Captain Blood.



Getting Creative is a 52 week project where I will try to work my way through  52 Ways to Nurture Your Creativity by Lynn Gordon. You're welcome to come along as I do a card a week for a year.

No comments:

Post a Comment