Thursday, June 23, 2011

Geekier Than Thou

The ugly head of geek elitism is rearing its head again. This time the new Miss USA, Alyssa Campanella, is accused of "pandering" to the geek crowd or even worse "faking" being a geek. Here's the video that got people's Underoos in a twist this week (the relevant stuff starts at 2:25):


When I heard about the fuss being caused by a beautiful woman proclaiming herself to be a  geek my first thought was why would anyone try to fake being a geek? There are so many ways you can get caught up when you say you're into something that you're really not interested in. If you can't tell a Ferengi from a Denobulan people are going to find out sooner or later. Why would anyone risk the embarrassment? Why would Miss Campanella, who knows that her every word is going to be scrutinized, claim to be a history geek if she wasn't one? You just know some know-it-all is going to ask her for her opinion on what really caused the death of the Duke of Richmond in 1536.

So is a "history buff" a geek? Why not? They aren't any better than comic book geeks or science geeks or band geeks. It's all the same. Each comes from a tremendous love of something. Something that makes them feel a little less lost and a little more connected. Geeks come in all shapes, sizes, colors, religions, genders and sexual orientations. If you want to get an idea of how all encompassing the geek world can be, check out the board subjects on David Hewlett's dGeek Forum

We geeks need to start celebrating our differences as well as our similarities. We should not be trying to slam the door on people we feel are not as geeky as we are. Infighting is just going to make people feed bad. Or worse, feel betrayed by the community they have developed a connection to. 

I don't know much about the new Miss USA but she seems intelligent and well spoken. She's also decided to get behind the NOH8 campaign for gay marriage rights. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that I like her. She can be in my geek club any time.

To end this on a humorous note I'm going to share one of my favorite moments from Stargate SG-1. It makes me happy on a number of levels. There are nerds and geeks everywhere. Even in space.




If you want to read more on the geek kerfluffle, there is a great post by Jill over at Has Boobs, Reads Comics. Another post I like is  When Geeks Become Bullys by Jessica. BTW I found both of these lovely girl geeks in The League of Extraordinary Ladies.


About the image: It was taken by Adam Bouska as part of the NOH8 Campaign. I think you can buy a copy of it on the website. I just wanted to use it because it's ironic that geeks have been "hating on" her this week.

2 comments:

  1. I've never thought geeks had to be unattractive, just geeky. This is said as a girl who calls herself nerdy, because I don't fit into the geeky profile, as I see it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did not the geeks were so Miss Judge really. What is wrong with a beautiful girl calling herself a geek. Maybe she can be a proud representative or so!


    iclw #36

    ReplyDelete