Friday, May 20, 2011

Help The Cheerleader - Save Your Soul




Many of you have probably heard about the Texas cheerleader who was ousted from the squad for not cheering the basketball player who raped her. Yeah. I said RAPED her.  The specific cheer she refused to do was “Two, four, six, eight, ten, come on, Rakheem, put it in.” Yeah you read it right. I didn't believe it either until I saw it here.


The first article I read on this story mentioned that the victim, Hillari, was harassed at school by other students after she told authorities what Rakheem and his friend(s) did. When she reported the name calling she faced every day in the cafeteria to the school officials she was told not to go into the cafeteria.


This all took place in 2008 before the recent spotlight on bullying. It is my opinion that Hillari was bullied by her classmates and the school authorities (cheerleading coach, principal etc.) three years ago. Now she's being bullied by the justice system. 


At the very least, the school is guilty of being extremely insensitive. The judge who ordered her to pay the school's $45,000 legal fees was just being vindictive. 


People seem to be divided on the issue. Was it a First Amendment issue? I'm not sure. I'm not American. One of the comments I've read asks if Hillari was African American or Jewish would she have been forced to cheer for a player she knew to be a member of the KKK? Would the lawsuit be considered "frivolous" in that case?


If you feel like helping Hillari and her family you can. Go to Help The Cheerleader

No comments:

Post a Comment