Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Getting Creative – Week 4

Happy Towel Day!

This post could be subtitled The Best Laid Plans of Mice and Madison. I had a plan for the day. It went awry. But I had my towel so that's +1 GeekFu.

My plan was to go to my morning appointment and then down to the West End for lunch and some wandering around time. I packed my backpack last night so I wouldn't forget anything. I packed a book (Women Food and God: An Unexpected Path to Almost Everything), a container of water so I didn't have to spend money on bottled water from a convenience store and a few other things I might need during the day.

Most importantly, I had my towel. Towel Day usually slides by me. I figure out what day it is around the time I'm going to bed. This year was going to be different. I was going to take my towel someplace I don't usually go (Getting Creative – Week 3) and I was going to have photographic evidence of the trip.

That's where things went awry. I was good. I set my camera's battery to recharge over night. I even remembered to put the battery back in the camera. I took a picture just to make sure that everything was working. Then I set the camera down.

Some of you may not know it but, I am easily distracted (ooo SHINY!) and I forget things. I usually pack my backpack the night before just so I don't forget anything. It doesn't always work. I'm one of those “make a list, check it twice, leave it at home” people. I think you can see where this is going.

I have no idea why I didn't put my camera into my backpack right after taking the picture. I guess I got distracted. I was busy doing something and realized that it was past time to leave. I grabbed my coat and my backpack and headed out. My poor camera was left all alone on the dining room table. The photo that was supposed to be the first one in my Towel Day photo essay is now the only photo. Sigh.

Oh well. It was nice to go to English Bay and watch the water and the people. I was disappointed to learn that Wrap Zone on Davie St. had closed. I was looking forward to getting their Thai-tanic Chicken Wrap but other than that the trip was a modest success. Would have been better with pictures.

I'm going to try to make time each month to get away from the computer and go someplace new or somewhere I haven't been in a long time. I spend way too much time in this chair. There's a big wide wonderful world out there. It's time I stopped hiding at home and feeling guilty that I'm not writing anything important enough.

So what about you? Where do you go to take a break or get inspiration?

Here's this week's card:
Creative Space 
You probably won't need an elaborate ranch like George Lucas built to house his many creative endeavors, but you definitely deserve – and more importantly – NEED an inspring work space. Even if you live in a studio apartment with five cats, carve out a corner or a cardboard box that houses your art supplies. This space not only legitimizes that “little creative hobby” of yours, but also provides a comfortable space in which to do it. And then all that's left to do is, well, do it.

Creativity Resources:

RexArt - a dizzying array of art storage ideas. I spent a half an hour just taking note of everything I could use. I partial to the Alvin Mobile Organizer Carts. 

Creative Spaces on Flickr - check out spaces other creative people have created.

And finally, just because writing this post made me think about it, Eddie Izzard on the best laid plans of mice. Enjoy.





Buy 52 Ways to Nurture Your Creativity


Read the rest of my Getting Creative posts


Getting Creative is a 52 week project where I will try to work my way through  52 Ways to Nurture Your Creativity by Lynn Gordon. You're welcome to come along as I do a card a week for a year.

No comments:

Post a Comment