Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Getting Creative - Week 2


Here we are again. Another week has gone by. If you're like me you're wondering where the heck it went. Last week I posted the first card in the 52 Ways to Nurture Your Creativity deck. That post is here if you need a refresher.

I don't do a lot of doodling. I usually do it when I'm on the phone. Especially while I'm on hold. I don't save them. I don't save most of my "art work." A few years ago I took a drawing class. As a warm up the teacher would pose in the middle of the room and we'd have 10 seconds to get the pose down on paper. I developed  a way of drawing with circles. The charcoal never left the paper. The picture was one continuous line with loops and circles. Above are three doodles I did this week. Sometimes the circles are big and fat. Sometimes they're thin. There's no reason to it.  It's just getting the pose down a quickly as possible.

I recently discovered Charcoal Pencils. How did I not know these things existed? I love drawing with charcoal but I've always hated the mess. Now I don't have an excuse to not draw. hmm.

Here's this week's card:
Be Disciplined
Nothing like a rigid schedule to get those creative juices flowing freely. Okay, it may seem counter-intuitive to sit down on a regular schedule to work on that Great American Novel instead of waiting for inspiration to strike. Actually, though, developing a routine schedule is good Pavlovian training for getting work done. Also, others (your dog, chatty friends and your children) will become accustomed to your consistently scheduled absences.
This week is going to be hard for me. I have that whole "I'm an artist! I have to be free!" thing going on in my head. Sigh.


Creativity Resources


Making a Web Comic: How to Stay Disciplined and Artsy -  An interview with an artist working on his art whenever and where ever he can.


Getting Creative is a 52 week project where I will try to work my way through  52 Ways to Nurture Your Creativity by Lynn Gordon. You're welcome to come along as I do a card a week for a year.

No comments:

Post a Comment