Saturday, April 2, 2011

High School Angst


 These days everyone is talking about bullying. The treatment of “Glee kids” is a big issue on Glee. It's been a long time since I was in high school and I don't have kids so I'm out of the loop on bullying. There's always been bullying. That doesn't make it right. Just makes it a fact. I can't imagine anyone being able to make me feel like killing myself.

Times have changed since I was a teenager. If you believe the news reports kids have become more violent, more self-centered and more willing to act on impulses. What the hell have the parents been doing? The schools don't seem to be able to handle problem children. Obviously something is not working.

When I watch Glee and see someone get a slushy in the face or thrown in a dumpster or locked in a porta potty I can't believe it. No one would have gotten away with that kind of shit in my Catholic high school. Are there actually schools where that stuff goes on now? I can't get my head around it. If that kind of thing had gone on when I was in school I might not have survived it.



Overall, my high school years weren't that bad. Grade 9 was hell because I tried to fit in. I had a circle of friends that included some kids who were popular. About halfway through Grade 10 I realized that I didn't actually like any of the people I was trying to be accepted by. Once I hit on that truth I was free.

There was never any chance of me being popular. First off I was a big girl. Strike One. I was a straight A student. Strike Two. I was a Catholic living in a Protestant house. Strike Three. I was quiet. I never tried to stand out. I usually had my nose in a book. No hope of being popular at all.

On top of that, I was a Glee kid.

I am so thankful that there wasn't a chess team because I would have been on that to – just like I was in elementary school. At least I wasn't in the A/V club. Bad enough I knew people who were. And I sometimes sat with them in the cafeteria.

Wait... I forgot about the short lived Dungeons & Dragons Club. See what I mean? Hopeless.



Starting in the middle of Grade 10 I let my Freak Flag fly. I was New Romantic with a touch of Rockabilly and just a hint of Bowie. Think Prince meets The Thin White Duke meets Brian Setzer (with red hair).

One day, when I was in Grade 12, I was walking down the hall and one of the football players I'd just walked past yelled “FREAK!” at me. I turned around, smiled and bowed. I said, “That's the nicest thing anyone has said to me all week.”

No one ever bothered calling me names after that.

Here is something I truly believe:

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." 
 - Eleanor Roosevelt

Below are three messages from actors on Glee on behalf of the  It Gets Better project. It really does get better but you have to be here to see it.

















About the images: I picked a couple of sceencaps that reminded me of my time in high school. I would have fit right in with these Glee kids.


Read my other Glee related posts here.

4 comments:

  1. I LOVE Loser Like Me. I keep saying it's my new theme song.

    I wasn't bullied like the kids in Glee, but I did have a tough time in high school. Like you, I was, and still am, big. In a sea of girls that were skinny and beautiful. I came from a middle class family. Surrounded by girls that had lots of money. I didn't play sports and had NO athletic abilities. You get the picture. So yeah, for me, high school sucked.

    Sometimes being bullied doesn't always mean you're getting thrown in dumpsters or having slushies thrown at you. Sometimes it's people talking about you when you walk past them. Or hearing them call you names. Or walking away when you walk up. SOMETIMES, it's not always obvious. But that doesn't mean you're NOT being bullied.

    But it does get better. And it's not always because other people get better. Sometimes it's because YOU learn how to handle the situation better. And you learn to be proud of who you are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Once you're out of high school you can decide who you want to be and who you want to hang out with. In college most first year students are just as confused and anxious as you are. Some of the bully's actually grow up.

    A couple of years after high school I was waiting for a friend to get out of class when this cute guy came over and said hi. I didn't know what to say at first, I knew him, he had been on my high school's football team. For four years he only talked to me when he wanted to copy my homework. He never would have sat down next to me. All of a sudden he was sitting their talking as if we were friends. It was weird. I guess he grew up. There's hope for all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bullying is so extreme these days! I'm so glad Glee has been making it a front and center issue -plus I just love the show :-)

    Thanks so much for visiting my blog during my SITS weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The bone I have to pick with bullying on Glee is that everyone gets away with it. The Glee kids are basically told to put up with it.

    It's good to put an issue in the forefront but you have to also show valid ways of dealing with the issue. Glee is sadly lacking in that department.

    ReplyDelete