Tuesday, March 8, 2011

International Women's Day



I read an interesting article about the 100th anniversary of International Women's Day this morning. It was very nice. Most women in the West know that they have what they have because some uppity women made some noise way back when. They might not know any more than that.

In the 21 century, uppity women are focusing on women in "developing" countries. There are some great programs that are helping girls in these countries get an education and/or run a business to help themselves out of poverty. I read about all these great programs but they don't do anything for about the root of the problem. The way males in these countries see females is going to have to change drastically before anyone can really help these women.

This view of women is sometimes cultural and sometimes religious. Changing a religious belief is slow work. Even in the West there are still religions in which women are not equal. My definition of religious equality is when women can hold the same positions in the church as men.  That means a female Pope and a female Dalai Lama. The Catholic church is not going to be lead by a women in my lifetime if ever. Recently, the current Dalai Lama said he might come back as a woman. That would be great. I'm not holding my breath.

We're Not So Perfect 





It's not just men we have to worry about. Women can be downright nasty to other women. Every time a woman looks at another woman and thinks, "Thank God I'm not like her," all women lose. Every time a female criticizes another female's appearance, lifestyle or career choices all females lose.

I could post hundreds of examples of how women cut down other women without hesitation. I'm not going to because you all know what I'm talking about. You've probably been on the receiving end of such comments. Not all women are like this just like not all men are misogynists. Women who hate other women (secretly or openly) are the biggest problem. Just one such woman in a room can do a lot of damage. Men are a secondary problem.

Here's my question: Why should men treat us as equals when we don't treat each other as equals?

Enhanced by Zemanta

1 comment:

  1. Hey There. I found your blog using msn. This is an extremely well written article. I will make sure to bookmark it and return to read more of your useful information. Thanks for the post. I’ll certainly comeback.

    ReplyDelete