Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Fuckin' Perfect to Me





I'm totally in love with Pink. Her music is fun. Her videos are funny. Well most of the time. The video for Fuckin' Perfect (above) is quite serious. I wasn't prepared for it the first time I saw it. I was in tears by the end. I was crying for the me that used to be. The child/young woman who really could have used someone in her life who told her she was perfect as she was.

After spending 12 years with an emotionally/verbally (and finally physically) abusive mother I went to live with my sister's family. That was just a different kind of hell. It didn't help that around the same time I entered puberty, started having migraines and had the first of many (chronic) bouts of depression. It would have been nice to have someone tell me that I was worth something because I spent years feeling worthless.

People who knew me then might be very surprised. In public I was quite different. I was very good at hiding my feelings. It was sheer stubbornness. I refused to give anyone the satisfaction of seeing me cry. I saved the tears for my bedroom. There was a lot of crying behind that door.

I got through it.

Maybe the words to this song will help someone else get through it too.




Made a wrong turn, once or twice.
Dug my way out, blood and fire.
Bad decisions, that's alright.
Welcome to my silly life.
Mistreated, misplaced, misunderstood.
Miss 'No way, it's all good', it didn't slow me down.
Mistaken, always second guessing, underestimated.
Look I'm still around.

Pretty pretty please, don't you ever ever feel.
Like you're less than fuckin' perfect.
Pretty pretty please, if you ever ever feel, like you're nothing.
You're fuckin' perfect to me!

You're so mean, when you talk, about yourself you were wrong.
Change the voices, in your head, make them like you instead.
So complicated, look happy, you'll make it!
Filled with so much hatred, such a tired game.
It's enough! I've done all I can think of.
Chased down all my demons, I've seen you do the same.

Woah ohh, pretty pretty please, don't you ever ever feel.
Like you're less than fuckin' perfect.
Pretty pretty please, if you ever ever feel, like you're nothing.
You're fuckin' perfect to me.

The whole world's scared so I swallow the fear.
The only thing I should be drinking is an ice cold beer.
So cool in line, and we try try try, but we try too hard and it's a waste of my time.
Done looking for the critics, cause they're everywhere.
They dont like my jeans, they don't get my hair.
Exchange ourselves, and we do it all the time.
Why do we do that? Why do I do that?

Why do I do that?

Yeah, oh, oh baby, pretty baby!
Pretty pretty please, don't you ever ever feel.
Like you're less than fuckin' perfect.
Pretty pretty please, if you ever ever feel.
Like you're nothing, you're fuckin' perfect to me yeahhh.
You're perfect, you're perfect!
Ohh pretty pretty please, don't you ever ever feel.
Like you're less than fuckin' perfect.
Pretty please, if you ever ever feel, like you're nothing.
You are perfect to me...



Fuckin' Perfect (Explicit Version)

4 comments:

  1. Love Pink too. Was surprised to read the lyrics to this song - I've heard it plenty of times but maybe because English is not my first language, I haven't really paid attention too much to what she's actually saying...

    I believe I have all her albums except the latest, and THOSE lyrics I have read -- I think she's well above the "average pop stars" today with her writing skills, maturity and also her vocal abilities...and the honesty which she transforms to these (sometimes) harshly true lyrics.

    Rock on !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pink seems to be more substantial than any of the other pop princesses. Her Twitter feed can be a little weird at times. I don't think she edits, she just puts it out there. Her Twitter ID is @pink if you're not following her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks -- I must admit I'm not on Twitter at all....maybe it's about time to venture in there as well, Facebook is all I've mastered so far...

    ReplyDelete
  4. A lot of celebrities have both a Twitter and a Facebook account and they tend to post the same things on each account. If Pink has a facebook page I haven't seen it yet. I guess I should go have a look.

    ReplyDelete