Tuesday March 22, 11:00-1:00, Room 362, East Block, Parliament Hill, Ottawa
Come on out! Show your support for the motion for a moratorium on GM alfalfa!
Please note: It is fairly certain that this meeting will now happen but to double check on Monday and Tuesday see www.cban.ca/alfalfa for a posted update.
WHAT: Tuesday March 22, 11:00 - 1:00 the House of Commons Agriculture Committee is meeting a second time to discuss the motion for a moratorium on GM alfalfa. The Committee will vote on the motion on Tuesday unless the Conservatives stall the vote again by prolonging "debate". The motion will then go to the House of Commons for a vote.
WHY: A large audience of interested observers at the meeting will help push the moratorium through! It is a small room and an audience of 16 almost filled the gallery on March 10 when the motion was first debated. There is rarely a significant audience at the meetings and so it will be remarked on and show strong public support. Your presence at the Committee hearings will make a lasting impression to these MPs of the public support behind the moratorium. If the motion is passed, this impression will help Conservatives and Liberals to support the motion in the House of Commons.
On March 10, Conservative Agriculture Committee members delayed the vote on a motion but at the same time Conservative Saskatchewan MP Randy Hoback made sure to say that “The concern I have isn’t necessarily with the motion itself…When I go to my farmers in my area – we have a lot of alfalfa production – they’re concerned about Roundup Ready alfalfa…I don’t want to defend it [GM alfalfa].” Pierre Lemieux, Conservative Committee member and Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister of Agriculture also said “There’s nothing wrong with this motion.”
TIMING: 11:00 - 1:00 the meeting will open to the public and the motions will be debated.
LOCATION: New Location on Parliament Hill! Room 362, East Block (the building East/Right of Centre Block/Peace Tower), Parliament Hill, Ottawa.
Notice for the meeting is here.
* Bring photo ID. You will not be permitted entry without your ID.
* Arrive 15 minutes ahead of time so you can go through security and get a pass.
* Please remember that observers to Committee hearings, just as to Question Period, cannot participate in the meeting and are asked to refrain from making loud comments etc. However, a nice round of applause after a good decision is not unprecedented and can be most welcome to Committee members who rarely get this feedback.
* A lunch will be brought in for the MPs to allow the Committee to meet over the lunch period, please note that food and beverages are for the MPs and we are asked to refrain from munching.
* There is a small waiting area outside the Committee room where we can wait - there is often another Committee that meets until 10:45.
* There are translation devices so that you can listen in English or French. Unplug these to unwind the cords. If the Bloc members speak and you do not speak French you will appreciate easy access to your device - Channel 1 should be English.
* CBAN Coordinator, Lucy Sharratt, will be attending and will arrive for 10:45.
Come on out to show your support, make change happen, and witness the results of your actions! Your presence could make a big difference.
Please contact me if you have questions. Best, regards, Lucy Sharratt, Coordinator, Canadian Biotechnology Action Network
Lucy Sharratt, Coordinator
Canadian Biotechnology Action Network (CBAN)
Collaborative Campaigning for Food Sovereignty and Environmental Justice
431 Gilmour Street, Second Floor
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, K2P 0R5
Phone: 613 241 2267 ext. 25
Fax: 613 241 2506
Support the Moratorium on GM Alfalfa! Take Action.