Saturday, March 26, 2011

Big Ass Fail






I thought I was done with this particular subject but I guess not. Original Song was a very good episode. The songs they sang at regionals were great. The one low point for me was Big Ass Heart. I think the lyrics to that song are way more offensive than those of Fat Bottomed Girls.


My girl went to the doctor cause her heart had palpitations He said cut the carbs, or else she’d end up pushing up carnations She stepped up on the scale and the doctor said ‘Oh Lordy’ If you don’t drop a few girl, you won’t make it past age forty My girl said ‘He lookie, on my fancy x-ray chart’Said the doctor ‘Holy hell that’s one G.D. big ass heart’ I’m telling you my friend, my girl’s got a big ass heart. When she shops for groceries that heart gets its own damn cart That big ass heart can pump two tons of love through her chest. And then sit down and win a lovin’ pie eating contest I love that bis ass heart so much I think it isn’t fair Look how you’re heart won’t pay me back for breaking all my chairs So sick with love I think I’m coming down with rickets When that big ass heart flies coach it had to pay for two plane tickets Oh, that big ass heart Oh, that big ass heart

Take the word “heart” out and you have a song full of swipes at and stereotypes of fat people. Even the way Puck introduced the song - adding “heart” after a pause - shows the song is a fat joke. On top of that, I can't imagine Puck writing these lyrics. I don't think he could be that crafty.

It's not that I don't have a sense of humor. I'm just... disappointed. They went for a laugh at the expense of the fat girl. I thought the show was better than that. I damn well know Mark Salling can write better songs. Maybe they should have let him.

Read my other Glee related posts here

3 comments:

  1. I have to agree with you. I LOVED the episode. I thought Get It Right and Loser Like Me were AMAZING! As a matter of fact, I do believe Loser Like Me has become my new theme song! But, I didn't like this song. However, after looking at all of the other songs, I think it was SUPPOSED to be that way. I mean the other songs were pretty awful. But, you're right, this one was definitely the worst.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's bad and then there's offensive. I think this one skated past the line.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What about a Big Ass Head? How important is that? :) Thanks so much for visiting me on my SITS day!

    ReplyDelete