Saturday, February 19, 2011

My Head Hurts

Most of you have seen or heard about what happened to reporter Serene Branson* live on air after the Grammys. People thought she'd had a stroke but it turned out to be a migraine. While most people have been kind an supportive, some people out there make me ashamed to be human. I'm not going to repeat the things I've read. I just hope that someday when those morons have a medical emergency the people around them treat them as they've treated this woman.


I've got to admit that I feel for Ms. Branson. I have suffered from migraine with aura since I was 13. Until you've suffered one you can't know what it is like. You can't know how embarrassing it is to have to ask a complete stranger to open your medication because you are shaking so much you can't open the child proof cap. I've had people turn away from me. I've seen the look in people's eyes. You know the one. The look that people give junkies who are begging on the corner.


I've actually blacked out at a Safeway check stand. No one called 911. They just wanted me off their property. I was literally given the "bum's rush" to the door. Once I was in the food court of a mall when an attack began. I had just gotten a drink and was looking for somewhere to sit when my hand went numb and I dropped the drink. I stood there looking at it for a while because I could not understand what had happened. I don't know how long I stood there with people pushing all around me. 


Until you've had a migraine with aura there's no way to explain how much it hurts or how embarrassing it is when it happens in public. Watch the video below to get a little taste of what I go though some times as often as twice a week.





Annoying wasn't it. Now imagine having two or three of those things at the same time. And make them flash. This is why I do not drive. Could you imagine being on the road when something like that starts? 


I hope you never experience it. I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.


*If you haven't seen the actual footage you can watch it here.


Image: Melvin Marshmellow by Migraine Chick Creative Commons Atribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 United States License.

No comments:

Post a Comment