Tuesday, February 22, 2011

A Lot of Tempest in a Pot of Tea?

After I posted about my first kiss yesterday, I started reading a bunch of different articles about Puck singing "Fat Bottomed Girls" to Lauren. Some people (including Lauren) were offended by it. I don't get it. It's a fun song. If you skip over the implied child abuse in the first verse (!) it's a rockin' little number in praise of big women.


Which, I suppose, is the problem for some people.


If you haven't figured it out from reading this blog, I am and have always been a "fat bottomed girl" and a Freddie Mercury/Queen fan. I would not have been insulted or embarrassed by having that song sung to me. I probably would have gotten up and danced. I have no problem getting out on the floor and shaking my big groove thing.


It's sad that some big women do.






(edit: they took the video down. You can listen to the audio track on Youtube. A really bad copy of the video is here. If you live in the US you can see the hulu quality version here.)

I've got to say that Mark Salling did an excellent job on the song. I don't usually like anyone but Freddie singing that song so props to Mr. Salling.

Since I started writing this post I thought of another song that Puck could have sung: Big Girls Are Best by U2 I don't think there's anything for anyone to argue over there. If they're going to have him sing to her again they might consider Hallelujah Here She Comes by U2. I doubt that anyone, including Lauren, would be offended by in that song. It's one of my favorite U2 songs and I'd love to have someone sing it to me.

Now if you don't mind, I'm going to click "Play" on the video 'cause I'm feeling the urge to dance.


Read my other Glee related posts here















Enhanced by Zemanta

1 comment:

  1. I thought he was AWESOME on this song. I'm a Fat Bottomed Girl too. Always have been. But he didn't mean it to offend her. Part of me sees why she took it that way. The other part, not so much. But again, I thought he was awesome singing this.

    ReplyDelete