Wednesday, February 9, 2011

I Heart Sir Ken Robinson

Sir Ken Robinson is an expert in creativity. I think that sounds like a great job. Wandering around being creative. Unfortunately there seems to be more to it. A lot of reading. A lot of talking- sometimes to people who don't want to listen.They're just there because their boss made them - and not a lot of doing. 

Luckily Sir Ken is very interesting and funny. Don't take my word for it. Check out his two TED Talks:







Sir Ken has written some books. I'm reading The Element: How Finding Your Passion Changes Everything. It's very interesting. It's full of stories of people who have found their "element". I think the element is the place where your passion and your ability meet. People have all kinds abilities but using them doesn't alway bring happiness. 

You could be good with numbers so you become an account but you hate it.  One day you're walking home from work and you find a saxophone on the sidewalk with a sign that says "free". You take take it home and look at it for awhile. Maybe a few days later you Google saxophone teachers in your neighborhood. You wait another few days and then you call one. The next week you show up for your lesson and everything clicks. You have a natural talent. Playing makes you happy. Your teacher can't keep up with you. 

Now you have a decision. Do you quit your day job to pursue life as a musician?  Do you keep playing as a hobby? You're in your element when you are playing your sax. You hate your job even though you are good at it.

What WOULD you do? 

I'd pursue the music. I'd go to a school to get formal musical training. I'd probably have to do some freelance accounting or get some kind of a job that isn't too consuming mentally or physically. I'd rather be happy than rich. Well... truth be told I'd rather be happy AND rich.

Huh. I just read my little story and if I made the saxophone a magic one, one that talks, and had the student fall in love with the teacher, I'd have the basics of a TV movie. Hmmm.

What are you doing when you're in your element?

No comments:

Post a Comment