Monday, January 31, 2011

This Could Be The Last Time

Well... maybe not the last time I post here but could be pretty close.

By now most of you have heard about the CRTC's decision to allow user-based billing (UBB) This means internet providers can charge their  customers on a per byte basis (like minutes on a cell phone). If Shaw imposes the same kind of plans as Bell, it is possible I will have to give up my internet connection completely.

It's not clear if new charges will replace the current charges of if they will be added to them. If it's added to them I will be forced to cancel my internet service. That's the bottom line. So if I disappear you'll know what happened.

Just in case you don't know about UBB here's a clip from my "boyfriend" George Stroumboulopoulos.



Since watching this I've found out that some people on the CRTC board used to be Bell Canada employees. If that's not a conflict of interest I don't know what is.

There is a movement trying to get the decision reversed. Check out AntiUBB to find out what you can do to stop this stupidity. You can also sign online petition.

I spend hours yesterday getting the email addy for every MP and Senator. I sent them all a very long email about why I think UBB is a bad idea. So far I've gotten a few "we got your email" messages and one personal reply thanking me for my "interesting and thoughtful" email from Stephen Greene.

I hope this decision is reversed but if it isn't I'll adjust. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

1 comment:

  1. Wait, is this going to go across all providers? That's crazy! I guess it I need to look into it more, I hadn't even heard about it! I hope it works out for you, I'd hate to see you go. :(

    Thanks again for stopping by my blog yesterday and taking the time to leave such a sweet comment. Hopefully you'll get some good new re: your internet.

    ReplyDelete