Saturday, November 20, 2010

Scrubbing Bubbles Extend-a-Clean Sounded Like a Good Idea...

Photobucket

Let me start off by saying that I'm a BzzAgent. I got a free bottle of Scrubbing Bubbles Extend-a-Clean Power Sprayer to try out. The idea was that if I liked it I'd talk about it here and other places. I've been a BzzAgent for about 3 years. I haven't gotten that many free products. Of the ones I have, most of them I don't like so I don't say anything. I think if you can't say something nice...

Until now.

There are two other things you should know. A few years ago I damaged both of my arms. I have very little strength in either arm. Scrubbing a tub is very hard for me. The other important thing is that strong chemical smells trigger migraines and can bring on an asthma attack.

I signed on to the Scrubbing Bubbles campaign because I thought the power sprayer might be better for me to use. And I was right. My hand didn't cramp from pumping the trigger. Yeah!

My problem started about 30 seconds after I sprayed the tub. I couldn't breath. I'd taken precautions. I'd turned on every fan and opened every window in my apartment. I also put on a mask. Didn't help. I let the bubbles do their work and grabbed my rescue inhaler and my migraine meds.

It doesn't say on the bottle which chemicals are inside. It doesn't have to(!) The only thing it does list is lactic acid. If you don't have a problem with chemicals maybe this product will work for you.

Aside from my chemical problem, I was shocked that it took half of the bottle to cover my tub and tiles. At $8.99 for the starter sprayer I think that's pretty terrible. Two uses and I'd have to buy a refill. On the plus side it is refillable and the refills are around $4.99. The sprayer uses batteries but I suppose you could use rechargeables there.

One of the selling points for this product is that it will keep the surface clean for up to 4 days. According to the info I was given when I got my free bottle:
Hydrophilic (water-loving) properties in the formula attract water droplets to each other to form a flat, even film.
The film keeps dirt, soap scum and grim from sticking to the surface of your sink, shower or tub
The next time you rinse, the water glides over the film while washing away the loosened dirt, grime and soap scum, leaving behind a thinner layer of film for up to four days.

Hmmm. Is it for days if there are one or two people using the tub/shower? Six people? Seems to me there would be a difference if chemicals are released each time the area gets wet.

And speaking of that... it sounds like chemicals are released each time the water hits the "film." That can't be good in a bath. They won't tell you what chemicals are in the product so do you really want unknown substances floating around your private parts? Or your child's? Or your pet's?

That's another thing about my life. I often have assistance dogs in my home. They come into the bathroom when I'm in the shower. The one I have right now likes to lick the tub. I had to scrub the areas he can reach with vinegar and baking soda because I was worried about chemicals being "activated" by his saliva.

The last thing I want to say about this product is a warning. Be careful when you step into the shower/tub the next day. My bathtub mat would not adhere properly to the surface of the tub. I'm lucking that there are safety bars (from a previous tenant) or I might not be here now. I should have taken a picture of the bruises but I was too angry to think about it. This slippery problem continued until the "film" was gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment