Thursday, August 19, 2010

Words Will Never Hurt Me

So Dr. Laura has been shooting her mouth off again. Dropping the "N-bomb" everywhere. I saw part of Larry King interviewing the African American woman the good doctor went off on she was very upset. After seeing the interview, I read a transcript and, I hate to say it, but I understand the point she was trying to make. If a word is "bad" (and I'm not really sure it's the word that is the problem) then it's "bad" all the time. For everyone.

Having said that, I don't think she needed to say it 11 times. I would not have said it once. She could have found a better way to get her point across. I think her point became lost in the emotional reaction to the word. She should have known saying the word would upset people. That's what the woman was calling in about.

There are a lots of people who would not say the word but they would think it. There is a part of me that says let them talk. At least we will know where they stand. It's the racists and homophobes and misogynists who hide their feelings behind smiles and pretty words that are really dangerous.

There is another part of me that says if everyone just started using the "bad" words all the time then they would lose their power. Many years ago I saw a video of Lenny Bruce talking about this subject and it had a huge affect on me. I think he was right.

No comments:

Post a Comment