Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Wikileaks



I'd never heard of Wikileaks then I got an email directing me to the TED talk above. Now I'm hooked. I think it's a great idea. I think there should be somewhere for people to "leak" documents that could lead to positive social change. I think secrets are inherently bad. A lot of shit goes on behind closed doors that if the "people" new about it they'd do something to stop it. Shining a light is never a bad thing.

Sure there's room for abuse and/or manipulation. That's where the verification process comes in. If they can't verify it they say so. Just by putting it up they get the needed verification when the author of the document complains. Not a perfect system but it works. 

The shame is that they are victims of their own success. They're getting so many documents they don't have the manpower or the money to get them out in a timely fashion. They need help. They need money. When "regular" news organizations can't/won't present the whole story there has to be some outlet for "secret" documents. I'm crossing my fingers that Wikileaks goes on for a long, long time.
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment