Thursday, May 6, 2010

What I Learned Today.


Today I learned that almost everything I thought I knew about skin cancer was wrong.

I went to see a dermatologist when she was examining my arm she found a mole that "worried her". She said it had to come off  TODAY. It seem that the moles you have to worry about are smooth to the touch and asymmetrical. If they're raised they're fine. She asked me how long I'd had that mole. Since it's on the back side of my arm I'm not very likely to see it unless I go looking. I have no idea how long it's been there.

She called in her resident (a very cute guy) to do the surgery. While he was working I had flashes of what I call "ick moments" from shows like CSI where they cut out a piece of skin to examine it under a microscope. I also got kind of distracted by his crotch being in exactly the right place to be doing something entirely different.

What? I said he was cute!

I made the mistake of looking as he transfered the bloody skin to a jar... I am so glad I did not throw up.

So I now have 8 stitches. I have to go to my GP and get them out in 8 to 10 days. I hope it's a nice scar. Ever notice how scars on men can be really sexy but the same scar on a woman looks bad? The res who cut on me had a cute little scar on his arm.

Speaking of scars, it seems I have a few of them on my back that I never knew were there. I have no idea where they came from. Dr. said I'd probably had them from childhood. Just one more blank spot in my childhood.

In two weeks I'll find out if I have cancer or not.

Now I'm going to be paranoid and searching my body for other "smooth" moles.  I think I might have to invest in a hand mirror. After I get some sleep. Managed 2 hours last night. Not even caffeine is working for me.

I'd love to just sleep for the next two weeks and wake up to get the news. The waiting sucks.
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments:

Post a Comment