Wednesday, May 5, 2010

SGA Day


Many of you know that I went to the Vancouver Stargate convention a couple of weeks ago. You may have been wondering why I haven't said anything about it. I could say that I was waiting for my friend Jennifer J. to get her pictures posted so I could put a few of them here. But the truth is I don't really know what to say about it.


I could only afford to go to one day of the con so I chose the day that was mostly Stargate: Atlantas actors. Let me say this, if you ever get the chance to see David Hewlett and Joe Flanigan on stage together run to your nearest ticket booth! They are HILARIOUS. They're both amusing on their own but when they get together everything explodes. You'll never know where they're going from one minute to the next.


Another person you should see is Christopher Heyerdahl who played Todd the Wraith. I like him. He's silly. He also plays a couple of characters on Amanda Tapping's new show Sanctuary. I've been watching the first two seasons and I'm really starting to like it. Chris' big news it that his character John Druitt will be back. 


One of the best moments in his panel was when someone asked him to say "John Sheppard" in Todd's voice. I really love the way he does that. It just sounds so menacing. Shivers.


I also saw Steve Bacic's panel but I couldn't hear a lot of what he was saying (my seat was way in the back of the hall) so I'm not really sure what that was all about. At one point he said or did something that triggered a negative response from me. I don't know what it was but all of a sudden I wanted to get out of that room. I'm sure he's a real sweetheart. My weird reaction doesn't mean anything.


After the panels it was time to line up for the "sandwich" photo op with Joe and David. I was really impressed that they both shook everyone's hand and looked a them while saying hi. What I didn't like was that the photographer said one or two words to get our attention and then snapped the picture. It was all over in less than 30 seconds.

I was asking Joe about him getting on Twitter a second before the picture was taken. I look like a dork. David looks a little goofy too. I bet it's not all that common to have 3 people in a photo smiling without opening their mouths. I was surprised when I got the picture and saw where David's hand was. A few inches over and he would have touched me in a place where, if someone touches me there unexpectedly, I jump out of my skin. That would have been fun.

All in all I spent too much money and my feet got sore. I was entertained for a couple of hours. I need to win a lottery so I can afford to go to a whole convention (and all the parties). I can dream.



Edit: I totally forgot that I also saw Michael Shanks. The only thing I remember about his panel, aside from his "stirring the pot" of SGU hate, was the story of a recent trip to a con in Atlanta. He saw people dressed in animal costumes and thought, "Great, there are some kids shows here." Later he found out about Furries. Shanks asked how many people in the audience knew what Furries were. Quite a few people, including me, put up their hands. He said the rest would have to ask.  Great for kids? As Shanks said, "Not so much."
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments:

Post a Comment