Wednesday, April 28, 2010

I Have Bionic Hearing or Help! Gadgets Are Taking Over My Life

I have been wearing my first pair of hearing aids for about 3 hours now. They're tiny and fit behind my ear. I tried to take a picture of myself wearing them but you can't really see anything because the part the goes into the ear is clear and the other part is hidden behind my ear.

This is going to take some getting used to. EVERYTHING is louder. A man reading a newspaper in a waiting room almost drove me crazy. All the way home I was adjusting and re-adjusting the levels. My ears are a bit sore.

I have a gadget so I can use my mobile phone. It's called an iCom. I have to wear it around my neck but it's one step away from Star Trek communicators (TNG style). I push the box to answer the phone and then I talk hands free to the person one the other line. I can even voice dial my phone... once I figure out how.

You can buy attachments that let your iCom connect with your iPod, TV or laptop. I'm not sure I really want to be that connected. I'd need to upgrade my TV and iPod. And get a laptop. Those are way down on my list. There's a part of me that can't believe that these two devices were more than $4000. Sometimes I think the smaller something is the more it costs. Call me crazy but something in me says that's just not how it should be.

This is a big day. I've never come home with two new gadgets at once. My TechFoo is quite low. I sent my first text message a week and a half ago. I can hardly wait until I realize I've forgotten to charge the iCom or change the batteries in the hearing aids.


Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

1 comment:

  1. You have text messaging capabilities? Cool! I can send you messages at weird hours! I know you'll adapt to the new techie hearing aids. Wish my dad would get some!

    ReplyDelete