Friday, March 19, 2010

Yeah I have a vagina. So?

I just read a report on how all 3 of the major US TV networks refused to air a new Kotex ad that used the word vagina. It had to be changed to "down there". WTF?!!!

On one hand it's great publicity for the "new" Kotex product. I don't know how many people would even care without this little bit  of scandal. The product is called "U" and even after watching a few commercials, I can't figure out how it is new or different.

On the other hand, it's just one more put down for women. For years we've had to put up with douches and scented products to cover up the smell from "down there" as if a woman's natural smell was a bad thing. Now we're being told we have a body part that isn't fit for public consumption. So to speak...

VAGINA! VAGINA! VAGINA! VAGINA! VAGINA! VAGINA! VAGINA!

Okay. I got that out of my system.

The good thing about this story is that it pointed me to 4 cute U commercials from Australia









Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go and find my "If you're Canadian show me your beaver" t-shirt.

Edit: I've just read another news story that said that 2 of the networks refused to run the ad with "down there". No word about what it was changed to. Maybe one of the names from here.

No comments:

Post a Comment