Wednesday, March 10, 2010

I don't know why I do this to myself...

I am notoriously bad at these month long writing contests. I usually get sick about half way into the second week. Or a relative dies like in 2004. I wouldn't be surprised if, this year, I came down with a case of The Plague.

Yeah, yeah I know - self fulfilling prophecy and all that. It doesn't help that this year's Stargate con is smack dab in the middle of the month.

What bugs me is that I've got two really good ideas that I've been waiting for a chance to work on. Stories that have been stewing in my brain for a long time. One of them would take a lot more research because it's a historical drama. The other takes place in the present day so not so much work.

Script Frenzy is much more manageable than NaNoWriMo. 100 pages in 30 days compared to 50,000 words in 30 days. It's only a measly 3.33 pages per day. Totally doable. All I need is to get myself into a manic state where I don't sleep and chain myself to my computer. I could churn out 100 pages fast if I didn't sleep for  few days. They might not be good pages but they'd be there.

My other downfall is going back and editing before I've finished. I know I shouldn't do that but I always do. Hell I just did it right now. I went back and fiddled with the first paragraph. Lame.

Part of me thinks that if I just keep signing up for these contests eventually I will hit something good and actually finish a project...

No comments:

Post a Comment