Sunday, January 31, 2010

I had no idea I lived on Caprica

One would think that after 20-odd (sometimes very odd) years of living here I'd be used to seeing a familiar landmark in a film or television show. I guess not. I decided to watch the Caprica pilot after hearing that two of my favorite actors James Marsters and Peter Wingfield were going to be on the show.

I never watched BSG. I'm old enough to remember the original show and I just couldn't get past Starbuck being a woman. I had no intention of watching the spinoff but I have to say I like it so far. I kind of like sci-fi without the spaceships. Sci-fi in a world that is similar to ours is good too.

I was happily going along with the show until Lacy, Zoe and Ben got to the MagLev station. It was deja vous all over again. I use that same station whenever I can't avoid it. The long escalator they're riding down gives me vertigo. I risked the dizziness to bring you pictures of the Granville SkyTrain Station





You can see brief flashes of the station, the sign, and a futuristic ticket vending kiosk that actually exists in this promo:



The other major landmark I noticed was Caprica City Hall, otherwise known as the Vancouver Public Library - Main Branch



I'm going to have to be very careful to not notice familiar landmarks. For some reason when it's a sci-fi show that recognition is jarring. I get temporarily pushed out of the show's world and into my own. The worst is when I vaguely recognize something but I can't remember what it is. I think I might have to tape the show from now on so I can pause it until I figure out what is bugging me.

No comments:

Post a Comment